1. “I feel so good if I just say the word, Sussudio, just say the word, oh Sussudio, oh!”
Say it. No, sing it. Go on. Do it. There. Feels good doesn’t it?
2. “It’s just another day for you and me in paradise”
Yes, you are entitled to your #whitegirlproblems, but be aware that they are just that, because while you don’t have to be guilty that you are blessed while people are suffering, you should always be aware that you are blessed while other people are suffering. And it wouldn’t hurt you to reach out from time to time—don’t be the whistling guy who just keeps walking.
3. “No you’ll never change her, just leave it, leave it”
You can’t change a person—once an easy lover, always an easy lover. Walk away before you get hurt, and don’t say Phil didn’t warn you.
4. “You know people are funny sometimes, ‘cause they just can’t wait to get hurt again”
Some people are drama queens and misery mongers. Masochism is real, alive and well, and it will get you. If you end up with one of these glorified assholes (or a batshit crazy), don’t torture yourself or taint any good memories you have of that person—get out while you can.
5. “The hurt doesn’t show; but the pain still grows”
Words and actions become memories that fester inside you, and sometimes you just can’t let go; you walk around screaming inside while carrying a stoic façade. It’s probably why you should never say cruel, personal things to the people when you love when you fight, because they’ll take all those things with them wherever they go.
6. “Everybody dance into the light!”
Celebrate! Dance! Light! Everybody! Yeah! Phil knows it’s all about boogie feet and getting loud in the pursuit of happiness, Jenny From The Block style.
7. “But if you don’t put faith in what you believe in, it’s getting you nowhere”
Better believe in what you believe in baby, because if you don’t you’ll fall for anything, or something? Phil wants you to trust in yourself, because if you don’t he thinks you’ll go stale. And I tend to agree.
8. “Now everybody keeps on telling me how to be, and everybody tells me do what they say, oh I’ll help myself it’s up to me and no-one else”
The only person you are answerable to is YOU (and maybe Phil).
9. “They can’t turn off my feelings like they’re turning off the light”
You feel how you feel and ‘eh, what are you going to do about it? It’s not what you feel but the way in which you deal with your feelings that count.
10. “We had a life, we had a love, but you don’t know what you’ve got ’til you lose it”
Thanks, Joni. It’s a cliché when clichés are clichéd because they’re true. So this cliché is a super cliché.