I’m a really confident person, and I always have been, but I definitely have days where I can’t quite channel that self-assured, powerful girl who isn’t afraid of anything. It’s completely normal. No one can be 100% on their game all the time. Whether you’re going on a first date, a job interview or just woke up on the wrong side of the bed and can’t get your confidence going, here are 28 easy ways to turn it on again.
1. Keep photos of yourself where you think you look your best on your phone. I totally have mornings where I feel like a nasty little troll and don’t want to get out of bed. Looking through some of my ~*fire*~ selfies gives me a little boost, as conceited as that might sound. Keep a few photos in your phone of moments when you felt your happiest, prettiest or most confident.
2. Stand up straight. Good posture makes you look more powerful and in-control.
3. Lipstick. Nothing makes me feel more confident than a bright red mouth.
4. Wear your favorite piece of clothing. If you’re going into a stressful situation or just having a bad day, wearing something that comforts you or makes you look amazing can help.
5. Or your favorite shoes. Heels always work for me.
6. Just smile. If you’re feeling less than brave, sometimes putting on a smile – even if you don’t feel it inside – can change your outlook.
7. Breathe. A few deep breaths can calm you and center your mind.
8. Write down little affirmations to look to. You don’t have to say them out loud in the mirror unless you want to, but having little snippets that remind you that yes, you can do this can be helpful.
9. Text your bestie and ask for a little love. There’s no shame in asking someone you love for a compliment or two.
10. Set a goal and accomplish it. Knowing you can do something you set out to do is powerful.
11. Have a little glass of wine. Don’t get wasted, just get buzzed. If you’re going into a situation where you feel uncomfortable, sometimes a little bit of booze helps take the edge off.
12. Know your value. You’re an important person. You have friends and family who love you, just as you are. Don’t get bogged down in self-hate, because it’s really not productive.
13. Listen to Kanye West. No one is more confident than Kanye West.
14. Exercise. Even just a few minutes of cardio or strength training, from lifting weights to ballet, can give you extra energy and remind you of your body’s strength, both inner and outer.
15. Wear a bright color. Red is my magical confidence color, but maybe yours is hot pink. Maybe it’s black! Whatever it is, wear it when you need a boost.
16. Go do something nice for yourself. Get your nails done, get a massage or finally cut all your hair off. Treat yourself! A little renewal never hurt anybody.
17. Write down five (or more) things you like about yourself. It sounds dumb, but it works.
18. Take a ~*fire selfie.*~ Whatever, it works for me. As trite as it may be, a handful of “likes” from people on the Internet can make you feel awesome about yourself.
19. Channel a Kardashian. Say what you will about the Kardashian-Jenner family, but their confidence levels are off the charts. They know they look good.
20. Write down X amount of times you conquered a challenge. Maybe you bounced back from a bad breakup or got praised at school or work. Just recalling these moments can be powerful reminders.
21. Surround yourself with supportive friends. Don’t waste your time on someone who doesn’t build you up. Support your friends, too.
22. “X” out any negative thoughts. Focus on being positive.
23. Learn a new skill. You accomplished something new! You’re awesome. Feel as triumphant as you did when you were little and learned how to read.
24. Trust yourself. If you don’t believe in your own capabilities, who will?
25. Put on perfume. A big spritz (or five) of my favorite scent makes me feel untouchable.
26. Look to someone you admire. Maybe it’s a politician, celebrity or even a family member. Try to emulate what it is about them that you admire.
27. Ask for what you want. Don’t be shy. Know what you want and get it! Once you’ve done this a few times, it gets easier and easier – I promise.
28. Be grateful. Put all your blessings and thanks into perspective. Sometimes it takes a little humbling to put your brain and your heart in the right place.