OK, we get it. You’re busy. I’m busy. We’re all busy. Some beauty companies think we’re too busy to even put on lotion the old-fashioned way and need to spray it on instead! That’s ridiculous.
But I get it. Sometimes you need to prettify in a hurry, or you only have time for one little treatment. Plus, everyone feels more low maintenance in the summer. Got five minutes? Of course you do. You’ve got time to beautify.
- A 5-minute mask. I’ve been using Clinique’s new Turnaround Revitalizing Instant Facial, which is slightly grainy to gently exfoliate as it encourages cell turnover. All you need is five minutes for more vibrant skin. It gives you a nice little glow, especially after moisturizer.
- Treat your hair. Tame split ends, moisturize dry hair and smooth down flyaways with a lightweight hair oil.
- Exfoliate your lips. Don’t buy a lip scrub in a panic at Sephora. I know that a fancy lip scrub sounds so luxe and you wanna treat yourself, but it’s a waste of money. Just make your own with a little oil and sugar or gently scrub your lips with a damp toothbrush. Then apply a thick balm and you’ll be ready for pretty bright lip colors or summertime makeouts.
- Get ready for sandal season. Add a minute to your shower and scrub away gross crackly heels. I never shell out for pedicures because I spend $50 on my acrylic upkeep every two to three weeks, so I depend on these pumice bars so I can continue my life as a Barefoot Britney Spears. They get all that hard shit off and last forever.
- Try lip liner instead of lipstick. I want my lip color to last all night with minimal touchups, so I’m spending a little more time filling in my lips with a dry, highly-pigmented lip liner. As a “base coat” of sorts with a little lipstick applied on top, it really does cling and stain your lips evenly.
- Freshen up. If you don’t wanna spend the time washing your hair (and who does?) spritz it with your favorite perfume instead. Now, if your hair is really dirty and greasy, this is not a solution, but for a quick touchup without the added scents of dry shampoos, it totally works. Plus, if your hair is as bleached-out as mine, it really holds the perfume smell so you enchant everyone each time you shake your head.
- Add a little glow. You’re not using a highlighter? Why? Why do you hate looking luminous? In a pinch, you can even use a nude or light pinky gloss on your cheekbones to lend a little light. Take the remaining few minutes to add a little bit to your shinbones to make your legs look shiny like an actress visiting the “Tonight Show.” Or, mix some shimmer up in your body lotion to subtly sparkle all over.
- Whip up a quick green smoothie. Greens make you pretty! It’s science. My fast ‘n easy recipe for instant healthy glow combines good fats (avocado) and vitamin-rich spinach with the antioxidant powerhouses we call blueberries and a little kefir for good bacteria.
Two large handfuls spinach
Sprinkle or two of cinnamon. Blend and drink!
- Add a few lashes. Now, it make take you more than five minutes to learn how to effortlessly apply false lashes (strip or individual – take your pick) but it’s worth it. Longer, thicker lashes take you from 0 to 100 real quick – and that’s the point, right?