1. They hold doors open for me. That is nice, especially since none of my match.com dates do that.
2. Batting my eyelashes actually works in a few situations. Not really anything seriously but sometimes I just don’t feel like waiting in line for the copy machine.
3. Sprinkled donuts. (Sprinkles are not manly — score for me!)
4. They want my advice and value my opinion on “chick stuff,” i.e. What should I get my wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/dog for Valentine’s day?
5. No fashion competition — I am not at risk of having the same J.Crew statement necklace as anyone in the staff meeting. Thanks, dudes!
6. My negative emotions are mine and mine alone. I have found that men who are not my boyfriend, dad, or gay best friend are pretty terrified of female tears and hormones. If I am crying at my desk, they avoid me and it is necessary. I mean, if that ever actually happened….which it doesn’t…often.
7. Ladies’ choice. If my date asks me where to eat, I immediately clam up and act real cute, like I am not hungry and that I LOVE whatever he chooses. I like food. So if I am craving a double cheeseburger for lunch, that is what I am suggesting and guys don’t turn down red meat often.
1. It smells. Not that it always smells bad but sometimes, particularly for a habitually single girl, the smell of “man” doesn’t always smell good.
2. Being the damsel in distress when you don’t mean to be is exhausting. Just because I am struggling with something does not mean I need immediate, undermining assistance. I still have some independence. *insert Beyonce song*
3. Beef jerky. I consume so much manly type food that it is probably not very attractive. There is really never a day that I need a rib eye for lunch. However in my own defense, who doesn’t love a good dehydrated meat snack mid-day?
4. Listening is hard for men. For the most part they love to tell me about their woes and ask for advice but are so quick to shut me down when I want to complain about my date with a guy who only talked about his fish tank for an hour.
5. Lack of flavored creamer. I get it, you drink black coffee and have hair on your chest, but can I please get a little French Vanilla action now and then?