J.K. Rowling the acclaimed author of the Harry Potter book series and one of my personal childhood idols. With a very active Twitter presence and the subject of countless interviews, many Harry Potter fans may think they know J.K. Rowling as well as they know the books. Here are 9 ¾ facts (yes, this is indeed a reference to Platform 9¾ ) you may not know about the author.
1. King’s Cross Station holds sentimental value for J.K. Rowling.
Her parents met on a train that departed from King’s Cross Station.
2. J.K. Rowling was rejected by the University of Oxford.
She ended up studying French at the University of Exeter.
3. After university, J.K. Rowling worked as a researcher for Amnesty International.
She researched human rights violations in Francophone African countries.
4. J.K. Rowling’s depression was her inspiration for Dementors.
J.K. Rowling has been very honest with her fans about her struggles with depression.
5. In 2012, J.K. Rowling founded the charity “Lumos.”
This charity strives to return children in orphanages to their families or a supportive living environment.
6. J.K. Rowling is a wizard at Minecraft.
The author started to play when her son David became interested in the game.
7. When shopping for her wedding dress for her second marriage, J.K. Rowling wore a disguise.
It is safe to guess that she did not want her wedding dress choice leaked to the public.
8. J.K. Rowling’s eldest daughter Jessica is named after Jessica Mitford.
Mitford was an author, investigative journalist, communist, and civil rights activist.
9. Although she was the first female billionaire novelist, J.K. Rowling is no longer a billionaire.
This is because of substantial donations that she made to charity.
9 ¾. J.K. Rowling’s favorite drink is gin and tonic.
I am disappointed it is not Butterbeer.