Last year, right before my birthday, I wrote an article about 27 things I learned in 27 years. It was a great way to reflect on life and see where I was, compared to where I thought I would be. If I’ve learned anything in my 20’s, it is that life never goes as planned but always has a path in mind. As I was lying in bed last night, I started to think about my 28th year. Being 28 was by far the hardest year other than when I lost my dad. But here I am, still kicking and I couldn’t be more proud of myself for overcoming it all. In honor of another year, here is my list of lessons learned:
1. Writing is a game changer. It’s my passion and I feel pretty proud of myself to have found it.
2. You’re stronger than you think. How many times did you think you weren’t going to survive something but here you are; surviving and shit.
3. It’s always okay to distance yourself from whatever it is that is hurting you. The only person you owe something to is yourself.
4. You can’t expect people to know how you feel if you don’t say it. So be honest and open.
5. On the same subject as number four, there is a big difference between being honest and being a straight up asshole. Don’t be an asshole. Nobody likes an asshole.
6. Taylor Swift and I really need to be bffs.
7. “No” remains a necessary word if you want to live a happy life.
8. I will always have weak knees. Whether it is over a dude who doesn’t deserve it or me attempting to exercise. My knees are weak as fuck. Thus how I dislocated my knee while attempting a curtsy lunge.
9. Doing what is best for yourself is something you will never regret. If you don’t put yourself first, who else will?
10. I would much rather be known for being a good person than having a pretty face. Looks fade, people remember the kind of person you were.
11. I am not defined by the things that have happened to me.
12. Timing is truly everything. This was probably the biggest lesson I’ve learned this year. You can want something to be a certain way with everything you have, but if the timing isn’t right, it’s not going to happen.
13. I have zero game with men which in fact somehow comes off as me having a lot of game, or so they tell me. Who knew? I still think I’m awkward as hell.
14. Never be ashamed if you struggle with depression or anxiety. One of the best things you can do is talk it through with those you trust and realizing you are not alone.
15. Moist will never be a word that sounds appropriate.
16. You never know when the last time you see someone will be. Tell the people you love how much you love them.
17. Exercise is a form of self-love.
18. With big risks come big rewards.
19. Asking for help is not a form of weakness. It seems to be a sign of maturity.
20. I’m not the only one who doesn’t know what the hell I am doing with my life.
21. I learned about Bitcoin this year. Actually, that’s a lie. I learned the word. I still don’t know what the actual hell a Bitcoin is.
22. Actions will always speak louder than words. Someone can tell you how much you mean to them, but it’s whether they follow through that means the most.
23. It’s always a good day for wine.
24. You can’t make someone see how their actions are toxic to themselves. That’s a lesson they need to learn on their own.
25. This sounds so cliché and I’m very aware of it. But, everything happens for a reason. So many times I look back and realize if I hadn’t have gone through something I didn’t see coming or something particularly painful, I never would have gotten to experience something amazing.
26. Goodbyes are a necessary part of growing as a person. Don’t be afraid, rather embrace them.
27. Home is where the heart is.
28. I am enough and I am worthy.
Here’s to another year of growth and self-love.