Your twenties are all about growth. It is the time that we date people completely wrong for us, drink a little too much, and push ourselves to the limit. My 27th year is coming to an end and with that, this is what I’ve learned.
1. It is okay to say no. I am an adult and I do not have to do anything.
2. Taking big risks can in turn result with big rewards. I quit my secure job and moved across the state on a whim. I was craving adventure and a fresh start. It was the scariest thing I have ever done but it was so worth it.
3. The only constant in this world is change. As soon as you’ve made a plan, the universe likes to shake things up. Get used to it. The more you can roll with the punches, the happier you’ll be.
4. We are not born just to work. All work and no play is not good for the soul. So find your passion and pursue the sh*t out of it.
5. It is better to embrace what you have rather than what you don’t. Positivity goes farther than anything else. Keep your chin up and keep going.
6. Exercise doesn’t just help you physically. I’ve found that mentally it is just as beneficial. The endorphins released not only make me feel better physically but help me sort through everything going on inside my head.
7. Dating is terrifying. I will never know what is out there if I do not give it a try.
8. Hangovers feel like death. Tequila and I have a real love/hate relationship and I have learned that a night of too much fun takes days to recover. So drink responsibly!
9. I do not need validation from other people. I know my self-worth. I know my flaws and even more importantly I know my strengths.
10. Beyoncé still slays. Seriously, she’s incredible.
11. It is okay to let go of friendships. People grow apart. It is a part of life. You will always appreciate that person for who they were to you; but sometimes you just have to let go.
12. I am hilarious. Ask my friends. Nobody laughs harder at my jokes than myself.
13. Therapy is a good thing. I tell my friends that the new happy hour is ‘therapy hour’. I have learned so much about myself and how I process things mentally. I recommend therapy to everybody.
14. Comparing yourself to other people only hurts yourself. I have realized that all the time I spend comparing myself to someone else could be used to accomplish my goals.
15. If you want to be with somebody, tell them. Rejection is terrifying. I get it. On the other hand; do I want to question if I could of had something amazing with someone had they known how I felt? No. So make it known to someone if you truly care about them. If they don’t want to be with you, that is their choice.
16. Karma is real. What you put into the world, you will receive back. Make sure you are putting positive vibes out there.
17. I am still socially awkward in front of attractive men. Who needs words when you can make awkward sounds?
18. There is no dress rehearsal for this life. We do not get a second chance. So if you like someone, tell them. Want a certain career? Go for it. Don’t be someone with regrets on their death bed.
19. Everything happens for a reason. Even struggles can provide us with tremendous growth. Looking back, I can see how everything I have been through has gotten me exactly where I am today.
20. It is okay to be sad. Just never let it consume you. Figure out why you feel a certain way and work through it. It will make you a happier and healthier person.
21. Not everybody will like you. That is perfectly okay. What they think of me is merely their opinion.
22. Having a variety of people in your life helps you grow. I have friends of all ages, ethnicities, and genders. The bigger the variety, the more I learn. Knowing them has made me a better person.
23. Communication is key. This is huge. When you learn to communicate with others about how you are feeling or what you need, your relationships will only get stronger. On that same note, make sure you listen.
24. Family and good friends are everything. Nothing like a few rough ‘grown-up’ experiences to make you realize how good you have it and how much your support system means to you.
25. Keep smiling, you don’t know who’s noticing. I work in customer service and I am always shocked with the amount of comments I get about how often I am smiling. A smile can turn someone’s day around.
26. Life is too short to be miserable. If you don’t like something, change it.
27. The best is yet to come.