1. I hate to be the one to tell you this, but the world owes you absolutely nothing.
The heartaches you have felt and the trials you have overcome pale in comparison to what is coming. But if you look hard enough, you will find a silver lining in everything that happens, no matter how ugly it is. Don’t let the ugliness seep into your heart. Focus on that silver lining. Lessons learned are hard earned but more than worth it in the end. Don’t be afraid to fight for what you believe in, it will come to that.
2. Despite what Walt Disney has taught you, your happiness will not arrive in the form of Prince or Princess Charming.
Your happiness resides solely in you. You will not be truly happy until you make the decision that you are going to try to be happy. Likewise, you cannot be anyone else’s happiness either. There are things in life that only you can give yourself. This is one of those things.
3. Embrace forgiveness.
Forgive yourself as quickly as you forgive others. Guilt is a heavy thing to carry and it serves no purpose. Learn from your mistakes and then let them go. They are raindrops in the ocean.
4. People who try to change you, especially when it comes to the things they “love” about you, have no business being in your life.
You are not anyone’s project. And of course, it goes the other way as well. If you feel the need to change them, do them the favor of letting them go. We all love helping the sad messes of the world, but trust me when I say that there is not enough time or energy in the world for you (or anyone put them) to change the problem. Refer back to Number 2.
5. Trust your gut instinct. It will never lie to you.
6. Learn the art of perspective.
Instead of focusing on how another person’s actions impacted you, try to understand them as a whole. What is happening in their lives? People’s actions say more about them than they do you. Don’t take everything so personally.
7. Let yourself laugh, let yourself love, let your light shine.
Enjoy the sunny days and know that the darkness may come, but it cannot stay forever unless you allow it to. Survival alone does not bring contentment-really living does. Don’t plan on doing things “someday”, do them today.