1. First & foremost, you need to understand that the acronym that I’m using for this article “D.M.V”, stands for D.C., Maryland, Virginia and NOT Department of Motor Vehicles.
2. Secondly, you NEED to learn how to use the Metro. It’s the most convenient source of transportation and can get you from Maryland to Virginia in less than 30 minutes.
3. If you’re going to stand on any escalator in the DMV, please understand which side you can stand on. People have places to go….
4. Maryland’s state flag is the BEST in America.
5. In Virginia, there’s a major cultural shift between Northern Virginia, Richmond and the 757 area.
6. Chipotle is what you eat, no questions.
7. Some will say D.C. stands for Dallas Cowboys; these same people have never been to Dallas. Redskins vs. Cowboys is our Super Bowl.
8. Picking crabs is something we’re born with. Old Bay was our baby bottle.
9. Many people around the country don’t know who Chuck Brown is……but here…..he’s musical god. “The Godfather of GO-GO”
10. There’s has always been this forever lasting feud between what technically is considered the DMV region. Some say Baltimore should be included because it’s in Maryland, some say the DMV is wherever the Metro goes. You decide.
11. Rest in Peace Sean Taylor.
12. Buying a pair of Nike Foamposites can put your life in danger. People will kill for a pair of sneakers here.
13. Traffic is horrible, try to avoid I-495 in the mornings & evenings. Avoid New York Ave. at all costs.
14. A cup of Rita’s is needed at least once every summer.
15. If you’re driving in D.C. please make sure there’s ample amount of air in your tires, potholes will tear your wheels apart.
16. We really do experience the extremities of all seasons. In the summer it’s blistering hot, in the winter snow is guaranteed.
17. With that being said, just about everyone has a North Face jacket in their closet.
18. Montgomery & P.G. County are the largest in the state of Maryland but it still seems like everyone knows each other one way or another.
19. Everyone is seriously dreading the year that cicadas come back in large swarms like they did in 2004. Oh yeah, stinkbugs live in my house during the summers.
20. Most of this country thinks D.C. is all monuments. Literally 5-7 minutes away from the White House, D.C. gets really sketchy. D.C. is split in 4 sections, Northeast, Southeast, Northwest & Southwest. It’s imperative to be aware of your surroundings in Northeast & Southeast.
21. Speed/Light cameras are EVERYWHERE. Never take the risk of running through a yellow light if you’re late to the yellow light. Be brave and you’ll have a $75 light flashing behind you.
22. We’re known for our Mumbo sauce, it’s the best topping to chicken & fries. Goto a local Chinese carry-out & let your taste buds run wild.
23. People either really love Wale or really hate Wale.
24. Yes, we have superstars in every sport with Alexander Ovechkin, John Wall, Bryce Harper & RG3 but we struggle to convert in the playoffs. The city is in desperate need of a championship. Some will say, “The Ravens just won!”…..yeah, it’s just not the same.