1. You have the potential to completely change your life. You can’t change your past, but you’re in complete control of your present and your future. You get to set your own rules. You get to make your own decisions. Even though you might feel like you have no choice, that’s an illusion. You have all the choices. You’re making choices every minute of every day — and if you want to change your life, you have the power to do so.
2. You don’t have to listen to what anyone else tells you. You might be a people-pleaser at heart, but please remember, it’s not your responsibility to make others happy or even comfortable. You need to make decisions based on what you want deep down, not what your parents or partners or friends want. You cannot let them push you in a direction that makes you uncomfortable. It’s not their life. It’s yours. You don’t need their approval.
3. Things are going to get better in the future. Maybe you need to wait until you’re a little bit older to move out. Maybe you need to wait until you have a little more money saved up to switch careers. Maybe right now isn’t the perfect time to make a change — but you’ll be able to make the change eventually. You’re going to get yourself out of this tough spot. You’re going to end up happier than you’ve ever been. It’s only a matter of time. You simply have to put in the effort.
4. You don’t have to follow the same path as those around you. You don’t have to hit the same milestones that your friends are trying to reach. You don’t have to follow in their footsteps. If you don’t want to get married or have kids or apply for a desk job, you don’t have to do any of those things. There’s not a one-size-fits-all model to life. You can create whatever type of existence will make you the happiest. There are no limitations.
5. There are plenty of other people who understand what you’re going through. You’re not the only one in this situation, even if you’re the only one in your immediate social circle. Unfortunately, there are plenty of other people who feel the same. You can connect with them online. You can swap stories. You can comfort each other. You can encourage each other. Even though you might feel alone at this moment in time, you never are.
6. You are important. You matter. You deserve to experience self-fulfilment. You deserve to receive self-respect as well as respect from those around you. Remember, you don’t have to keep anyone negative in your world forever. You can create your own family. Form your own circle of people you can trust.
7. You’re doing so much better than you realize. Even though you feel trapped, even though you’re struggling, even though these times are difficult, you are handling yourself beautifully. You are showing your strength. You are proving your resilience. You should be proud of yourself. You’re doing so much better than you think.