1. Emotions are going to get involved. You might be telling yourself that this is only a one-time thing. You might be telling yourself that it’s strictly physical. You might be telling yourself that nothing serious is going to come out of it. But this is someone you once dated. You have a history. Either you’re going to get hurt or you’re going to hurt them. Someone is going to come out of this with a broken heart, so it’s better to keep your distance. If you’re really looking for a one-night stand, pick someone who won’t get reattached to you — or vice versa.
2. You can give yourself a better orgasm at home. Do you really want to hook up with him when chances are high that he’ll end up orgasming while you’re left feeling unfulfilled? You know how to pleasure yourself better than your ex does. You know where you want to be touched. You know what it takes to turn yourself on. If you’re horny, then take care of business and then ask yourself whether you still think texting him is a good idea.
3. You’re going to ruin your healing process. It probably wasn’t easy to get over this person. Maybe you aren’t over this person. Either way, sleeping with them is going to ruin your progress. You might be learning how to live without them now, but the second you slip back in bed with them, you’re going to remember all the reasons why you loved them. You’re going to miss them. You’re going to want to get back together with them. Sleeping with them might not seem like such a big deal when you’ve already done it before — but you’ll be opening up a can of worms. You’re going to complicate things.
4. You deserve to move on. Every second you spend on your ex is a second you could be spending on someone else. You could be out there, searching for your forever person. You could be flirting with strangers. You could be developing a deep connection with someone who isn’t going to screw you over. You already tried dating your ex and it didn’t work out. It’s done. Now you should be focused on trying to make a relationship work with someone else. Stop living in the past and figure out your future.
5. It ruins your chances of staying friends. You were a couple. Then you were friends. And now you’re sleeping together. That really blurs the boundaries. It turns your friendship into something more. You clearly had a strong connection with this person so you need to decide what you want from them. Do you want to get back together? Or do you want to move on from them? Hovering in between isn’t an option. It’ only going to put you through pain.
6. There are other men out there. There are other hearts. Other bodies. You don’t have to keep running back to the past because you’re comfortable there. Your ex isn’t the only person attracted to you. They aren’t the only person capable of loving you. There are plenty of other people who would love to be with you — but you have to give them a chance. And the first step is saying goodbye to your ex.