1. Put in effort to maintain your relationships. Romantic or otherwise. Always put in that effort.
2. The future is so immensely unpredictable. Don’t exhaust yourselves obsessing over it.
3. The more you let others control your life and don’t establish boundaries, the more likely it is that you will be doing something you absolutely hate. Establish boundaries and take control of your life!
4. Don’t settle for someone for reasons such as we have been together for a long time or I don’t want to be alone. Get out before you take the next step. The longer you stay, the harder it becomes to walk away.
5. It’s not always your fault. You don’t have to feel bad and guilty for everything bad that happens in your life, and even if you do mess things up, it doesn’t mean other people have the right to be a jerk to you.
6. Love isn’t always enough. You can love somebody very much and the relationship still may not work.
7. Surround yourself with the right people. Just because you have a history with someone doesn’t mean you need to keep spending time with them if you’ve grown in different directions.
8. If something traumatizes you, seek help to come to terms with and deal with it. That shit can stick for a long time, and it stinks.
9. It’s ok to make yourself a priority – you can work every minute of every day and never have friends or holidays or time off but you’re not going to get a prize for it. At the end of your life your boss/company will have won but will quickly forget you. You won’t be able to suddenly make memories and make friends materialize.
10. Look at your significant other’s parents’ relationship, and expect elements of it to come up in yours.
11. Stop beating yourself up because you’re not pretty enough or skinny enough. You’ll look back at pictures and realize you looked wonderful — and realize how much energy you wasted thinking so negatively about yourself. It’s a really hard realization to have when you’re forty or fifty, and your body is starting to get old.
12. Your “no” doesn’t need a soliloquy attached. You’re allowed to say no to things. Do not be afraid of that kind of confrontation!
13. You should never be working yourself to the point of mental or physical exhaustion, no matter how important your task seems at that time. Think of yourself first, for once, and STOP working so unnecessarily hard.
14. Don’t devalue yourself for someone who doesn’t value you in the first place.
15. There can never be enough of learning. Even small skills. Do it. It will build on who you are and what you can do. Gives you an upper hand with everything in life. From jobs to your social life.
16. Respect yourself enough to walk away from bad people.
17. If you are in a sketchy situation, and your gut is telling you to leave, LISTEN!
18. Know your own worth. Don’t be exploited by shit employers just because you don’t think you’re worth anything. You do deserve fair pay and reasonable hours. And sanity.
19. Don’t have kids just because you think you’re supposed to. You should want them and have the means to raise them well.
20. Taking care of your mental health is as important as getting help for your body.
21. You are not responsible for other people’s actions.
22. You are worthy of being loved.
23. While you don’t need to have your whole career mapped out at 18, make choices extremely carefully because it can become bloody difficult or impossible to change them later.
24. Don’t stay in a relationship you know is dead for years after you realize that fact. Life is genuinely too short, you shouldn’t be spending big chunks of it unhappy just to protect someone else’s feelings.
25. Don’t take advice from someone you wouldn’t take criticism from.
26. Have a long-term goal and sacrifice for it. If you don’t make the sacrifice now, what you want becomes the sacrifice.
27. If you love someone let them know. Rejection is better than a lifetime of wondering.
28. Don’t build your self-worth around money. No matter how much you make, it will never be enough and the more you have, the more you fear losing. Find other ways to feel good about yourself than the size of your paycheck.
29. You don’t need to get married ! It’s okay to be a single adult.
30. Don’t stay with that person who clearly doesn’t value you, or who you clearly don’t value. Have standards, and know that you deserve love.