1. Leonard Nimoy singing this song about ‘The Hobbit’
Back in the 60s, the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings was just as popular as it was in the 2000s and Nimoy jumped right in on the trend, singing the original piece “Ballad of Bilbo Baggins” in 1967.
2. Singing Johnny Cash’s “I Walk the Line” in 1954
Totally decent cover.
3. This bizarre and great TV show
He also did “In Search Of…” which, in many ways, set the standard for today’s modern “we’re searching for things that don’t exist” TV shows like Ghost Hunters. Nimoy’s show, however, was inherently creepier.
4. All these Westerns in the 50s and 60s
5. This weird Bangles video
Here is playing the semi-annoyed bus driver in the Bangles video of “Going Down to Liverpool” which almost no one remembers. I argue he is the best part of the whole thing.
6. This Bruno Mars Video
An alternate version of “The Lazy Song.”
7. This Oldsmobile commercial with his daughter from 1991
8. This Y2K Survival Guide
9. This Laserdisc demo video
Do you remember Laserdisc? It was basically an enormous Compact Disc that came out in 1978.
10. This crazy debate
In ‘Spock vs Q’, Nimoy plays Spock debating Q played by John de Lancie in front of a live auditorium. iTunes sold the audio of this when it came out.
11. This awesome audio book
Nimoy did a ton of these and they’re all magnificent.
12. This video of him naked fighting in the bathtub
From the movie “Catlow” in 1971.
13. This book on full-bodied women
Late in his life he tackled the issue of body image in a way that had rarely been approached before.