It was just last week that the President took a lot of flack for saying, essentially, we don’t yet have a strategy for dealing with ISIL (ISIS, The Islamic State) in Syria yet.
He remedied that tonight. His speech was very straightforward (only 14 minutes) and so I’m providing you with the basics, in bullet points.
- We’ve brought 140,000 U.S. troops home and we’re still defeating terrorist networks in places like Yemen.
- ISIL aren’t real Muslims, they’re Muslim killers. They kill children and women and prisoners. They’re bastards. They must be destroyed.
- He’s going to start bombing ISIL in Syria as well as Iraq where we’re already bombing them.
- He’s deployed 475 additional U.S. troops as advisors (there’s now 400 there, this will bring it up to 875, I believe) but they won’t see ground combat. “We will not get dragged into another ground war in Iraq.” They’re there to provide training for the Iraqi Army and the Kurds.
- “If you threaten America, you will find no safe haven.” Threaten here obviously meaning try to attack or harm.
- He wants funds to train and equip the Free Syrian Army (non-Islamist Syrian opposition).
- Humanitarian support to civilians in the regions affected by ISIL’s offensive.
- He’s meeting with the U.N. Security Council next week to galvanize the international community around the mission to degrade and destroy ISIL.
- Meet with the leaders of Arab nations to get them to mobilize against ISIL in a united way.
Below is the full video of the President’s address.
featured image – YouTube