1. Shots were fired at the Fort Lauderdale airport in Florida.
2. At least five people have been killed, the scene has been described as “chaos.” Up to 12 people may have been injured.
Confirmed: Shooting at Fort Lauderdale -Hollywood International Airport with multiple people dead. One subject in custody.
— Broward Sheriff (@browardsheriff) January 6, 2017
3. People on social media have jumped in to describe the events of the shooting:
I'm at the Ft. Lauderdale Airport. Shots have been fired. Everyone is running.
— Ari Fleischer (@AriFleischer) January 6, 2017
Shots fired at FLL airport. Guy is bleeding profusely. Supposedly others are shot on the lower level at Delta Term 2. pic.twitter.com/UcL73Y8yGx
— (((Maxwill))) (@MxWllSolutions) January 6, 2017
Shooting reported at Ft. Lauderdale airport in Florida Airport Evacuated pic.twitter.com/brM4vc2x4M
— Darl van Dijk (@Lastcombo) January 6, 2017
4. The shooter is allegedly Esteban Santiago, a former member of the Alaska National Guard. It has been confirmed that he was the only shooter.
Army National Guard confirms to @ ABC alleged shooter Esteban Santiago honorably discharged about 4 months ago. Last post – Ft. Greely, AK.
— Stephanie Wash (@WashNews) January 6, 2017
5. The shooting apparently began after Santiago retrieved his gun from checked baggage after de-planning from the flight. It is suspected that his gun was checked legally.
6. However, others are saying that the shooting began from a bathroom at the airport terminal.
Reports is that airport shooter flew in from Canada and came out shooting from bathroom in Terminal 2 #FortLauderdale
— John Pacenti (@jpacenti) January 6, 2017
7. The Florida-bound flight Santiago is said to have been on apparently departed from Anchorage, and flew through Minneapolis.
8. He is said to have used a handgun, and three rounds of ammunition. According to MSNBC, after firing three rounds, he is said to have thrown his gun on the ground and “lay spread-eagle on the ground.”
9. Santiago was carrying military ID at the time. He had previously lived in Naples, Florida and New Jersey before moving to Alaska.
10. NBC News reports that his family was originally from Puerto Rico. He was 26-years-old.
11. Law enforcement does not yet have a formal theory on his motive.