1. Monogem – I’ve included Monogem in some of my playlists before, but I just gotta put my girl in here. Monogem is the definition of ethereal ear candy. Her sound is cloaked in smoke, synth, and strobe lights. Listening to her reminds me of a dream I’m slowly being pulled out of, no matter how hard I try and stay asleep. It’s fun and fresh and totally reminiscent of all of the things about the 80’s we wish we could get back. Her EP just dropped earlier this month. I would definitely recommend checking her out. She’s gaining public momentum, fast, and it isn’t a surprise when you realize you’ve had the same song on repeat for the past twenty minutes. (Just me? Oops. #sorrynotsorry).
2. GuY– A man about town, GuY is an R&B artist who’s most definitely going to be turning heads. His sound is like a Drake/J.Cole/old-time-underground ménage-a-trios love child. Don’t let his name fool you – his style is anything other than a basic classification of the R&B genre. Though some of his songs are simply good time, fill your cup up pre-game tunes to play and zone to, most of the lyrics he’s spitting have got real, quality meaning behind it. There have been hints of an EP dropping early spring. Keep your eyes peeled and your ears open – you’re going to want to watch this one ride his way to the top.
3. James Bay– This guys right here is my go to “feels” enabler. His songs sooth the rough patches in life with a dreamy, caramel-coated voice and pleasing guitar. Don’t get me wrong, dance tunes and rock and roll will always have a place in my heart. But this sort of back-to-the-earth, emotion packed serenade resonates in that deep down place we all have where our secrets and love hide. Think of a compilation between John Mayer and Gavin Degraw, and you’ve got the sounds of James Bay.
4. DREAMERS- Okay, so DREAMERS seem to have popped up out of nowhere but I’m really not complaining. I went from not knowing them to wondering how I ever lived without them. Their sound is a cosmic whirlwind of grunge-indie-pop. Their hit single “Wolves” is currently sitting on the top ten of Sirius’s Altnation countdown. Not only that, they’re the only unsigned band on that list. So that right there should tell you something. These guys are going to explode all over the indie scene like spunky little shooting stars.
5. Chelsea Jade – Chelsea Jade is like the time between the end of winter and the beginning spring. There’s beauty in her music but there’s also a certain sadness you can’t really put your finger on. Maybe it’s the lyrics, maybe its just the undertones of the overall sound. I can’t really tell what it is, all I know is that it leaves me trapped between two conflicting emotions and I love it. She’s the sort of artist that’s going to teach you things about yourself you don’t even realize you’re learning. Not to mention, her voice is wistful and charming in ways I haven’t heard in a long time.