Producer’s note: Someone on Quora asked: What are some tips that can help me get out of traffic tickets when the cops stop me? Here is one of the best answers that’s been pulled from the thread. Thank you to the team at Quora for making this happen!
1. Understand that your chances of “getting out of a ticket” depends on many circumstances falling into place. Including the fact that you may still get the ticket.
2. It depends on the infraction and whether the officer was assigned to write tickets or just happened to see the violation.
3. Don’t deny that you committed the infraction. To a police officer, that’s the same as saying he or she is lying. Not a good idea.
4. If the ticket is for running a red light or stop sign, don’t argue that it was yellow.
5. If it’s for speeding, most cops will give you 10 mph over the limit before stopping you. But once you hit 11, you are testing their patience.
6. In general, if you can just admit that you could have used better judgment and you appreciate what officers do, your chances of not getting a ticket increase. Yes I know it sounds like sucking up, but you have no idea how often cops hear a barrage of insults instead.
7. Do not, under any circumstances, ask the officer, “Do you know Officer ___?”
8. They may or may not know him or her, but it makes no difference to that officer, unless you are that cop’s parent or spouse and can prove it. Still no guarantee you get no ticket.
9. The more pleasant and agreeable you are the better. Period.