I know you were excited for your birthday. I know whatever you had planned probably isn’t going to work out. And I know that, even though there are much bigger things to worry about in the world right now, this can still feel disappointing. But you shouldn’t be miserable on your birthday, so here are a few fun ways to celebrate (without leaving the house):
1. Take shots with your friends. Set up a Zoom call with your friends and take shots together. You can even play a drinking game. Or you could simply spend some time catching up with each other. It’s pretty much the same thing you would be doing if you saw each other in person, except you’re in your own homes instead of a restaurant.
2. Play board games together. There are plenty of board games you can play online, like Cards Against Humanity, or you could break out a physical game like Taboo or Head’s Up or Charades. You can hold the cards to the camera so your friends can play along, even though you’re not in the same room. Just don’t peek!
3. Have a virtual party. If you and your friends are fans of Animal Crossing, let them travel to your island for a virtual party. Even if your friends IRL aren’t able to make it, then you’re going to have plenty of friends in the game who are going to make your birthday special.
— milkfish_mango (@CupONeeko) March 24, 2020
4. Bake yourself a cake. Instead of buying a cake from a bakery or getting a slice from a restaurant as they sing to you, you can make your own cake with whoever lives in your house with you — your boyfriend, your parents, your roommates. You could even try your hand at making an ice cream cake. Use whatever ingredients you have in the house and see what you can come up with together. And don’t forget to decorate with icing, sprinkles, strawberries, or whatever else you find around!
5. Order food from your favorite restaurant. Even though you can’t sit down at your favorite bar or restaurant doesn’t mean it’s closed. You can still support local businesses (and treat yourself) by ordering food and having it delivered. That way, you won’t have to cook on your own birthday.
6. Get dressed up like you would on any other birthday. It doesn’t matter that you’re staying inside the house. Do your hair. Do your makeup. Put on an outfit that makes you feel cute. Your effort won’t be a waste because you can still post pictures for social media. Plus, if you’ve gotten used to wearing pajamas lately, it’ll make the day feel special. It’ll set it apart from the rest of the week.
7. Do a pub crawl in your own home. Set up different drinks in different areas of your home. Have some wine and cheese in the living room. Have some champagne and chocolate in the bedroom. Get creative with your night inside!
8. Write out a list of things you want to accomplish at this age. You might not be able to leave the house right now, but you will eventually. When that time comes, it’ll be nice to have a long list of things you want to see and places you want to visit. That way, when you can hang out with your friends again, you won’t end up going to the same bar you’ve been visiting for the past few years because no one has any new ideas about what to do. You can try plenty of new things later in the year if you start your research now.