Traditionally, the bride and groom see each other for the first time when she’s walking down the aisle. However, within the last few years, first looks have exploded in popularity. A first look is when the bride and groom see each other for the first time before the ceremony — and have the whole thing captured on camera!
Even if you consider yourselves a traditional couple, here are a few reasons why you might want to take a more modern approach on your wedding day and do a first look:
1. You won’t have to disappear from cocktail hour. At most weddings, the newlyweds (and their parents and entire bridal party) disappear as soon as the ceremony ends. That’s because they’ve run off to take group photos. But if you’ve already handled all of your photos before the ceremony, you have extra time to mingle with your guests — and to taste the cocktail hour food you paid so much money to serve.
2. It takes some pressure off of the groom. If you’re seeing each other for the first time during the ceremony, you’re going to hope for an extreme reaction from your groom as some sort of sign he thinks you’re beautiful. But if your groom isn’t that expressive and isn’t going to cry or drop his jaw when you walk down the aisle, a first look gives him the chance to tell you how breathtaking you look. It gives him a chance to voice his emotions. And you get to return the favor.
3. It takes some pressure off of you. During a first look, you’ll get out all of your nerves so you don’t shake down the aisle or stumble over your vows. Your groom is the one person who knows how to calm you down, so seeing him before you walk down the aisle and pledge your lives to one another is probably a good idea. It will remind you why you’re doing this.
4. It’s an extra cute photo opportunity. Most first look photos show the bride walking up behind the groom and tapping him on the shoulder. It’s an extra cute photo to add to your collection! You’ll still have photos of you walking down the aisle later, so really, you’re only gaining something by having a first look.
5. It makes your wedding day last a little longer. If you do a first look, you’ll have to show up earlier in order to get all of your photos done before the ceremony. No matter what, your wedding day is going to go by in a flash. If you want to make it last as long as possible, a first look will give you some extra time together.
6. You won’t feel like you have to impress anyone. If you’re seeing each other for the first time during the ceremony, you might be distracted by all of your family and friends sitting in the audience, watching your every move. But a first look gives you a more private, intimate space to connect. It allows you to enjoy seeing each other for the first time without worrying about what anyone else has to say.