1. The fact that you’re trying to better yourself means you’re already doing more than most people. Most people refuse to admit they need to change. Most people are comfortable living the rest of their lives the same exact way as they have always lived, even if they’re miserable the entire time.
2. The people you look up to the most, who look like they have it all together, also have moments where they break down. They’re not as perfect as they appear, so don’t hold yourself to some unrealistic standard. Remember, you only see the pieces of them that they want you to see. Meanwhile, you’re stuck seeing every tiny piece of yourself.
3. Change is a process. It takes time. You’re not going to break your bad habits in a matter of minutes. You’re probably going to deal with a setback or two before you reach any sort of success. Remember that, so you don’t give up too easily, so you don’t lose faith in yourself without reason.
4. Anyone who puts you down, who acts like you’re wasting your time working on yourself because you’re never going to succeed, does not deserve a spot in your universe. You should surround yourself with people who believe in you, who inspire you, who encourage you.
5. You’re not a bad person. Even though there are some aspects of yourself you need to work on, that doesn’t mean you’re a screw up. You’re human and humans have faults. You’re no different than anyone else.
6. Just because you’re struggling, that doesn’t mean you should give up. Just because you’re struggling, it doesn’t mean you’re walking the wrong path. The most beautiful things in life require a shit ton of effort. Nothing good is going to come easy.
7. You should be bettering yourself for yourself. Not to impress your crush. Not to make your parents proud. Not to fit in with your friends. Your goal should be to impress yourself, to make yourself proud.
8. Don’t be too hard on yourself. If you want to change your behaviors, then you need to be strict with yourself, but you don’t need to torture yourself. You don’t need to treat yourself like your own worst enemy. Stay kind to yourself, even when you’re frustrated with yourself.
9. Even once you accomplish what you’re setting out to do, there are always going to be new ways for you to better yourself. Your growth is going to be ongoing. Your journey is never going to end. It’s going to last a lifetime.
10. Even when you feel like you’re never going to succeed, keep trying. Say screw you to your doubts, screw you to the nasty voice in the back of your head, and keep trying.
11. You can love yourself and still realize there are aspects of yourself that need work. In fact, making a change to your behavior is part of loving yourself. It proves you give a shit about yourself. It proves you care about bettering yourself, about reaching your fullest potential.