1. You should do work you love — and remember that love takes work. It doesn’t matter if you have your dream job or are dating your dream person. There are still going to be bad days. There are still going to be times when you struggle. You can’t give up when that happens. You have to remember, even the best things in your life are going to cause you stress from time to time.
2. Never let your love for someone get in the way of your dreams. Your forever person will support your dreams. They will have complete faith in you. If the person you’re dating has been begging you to give up your passions because you don’t stand a chance of succeeding, then they’re not your forever person.
3. Sometimes, you’ll lose balance. You’re never going to have everything figured out. Sometimes, life will throw you curveballs. Your person might experience a death in the family and you’ll have to take off from work for a week or two to focus all of your energy on them. Or your boss might assign you a massive project and your person might have to take a backseat for a few days. If your relationship is strong enough, you’ll be able to get through the rough terrain because it’s only temporary.
4. FOMO sucks, but really, it’s okay to miss out on things. You might turn down a work retreat in order to spend more time with your person. Or you might miss a party with your person to attend an important meeting. You have to understand what you can have everything really means. You can have a healthy relationship and a thriving career at the same time. But you can’t be in two places at once.
5. It’s okay to be (a little) exhausted. It’s hard to juggle a social life and a career, but you cannot allow yourself to get burnt out. If you feel yourself spiraling, take a look at your schedule. See what can be rearranged. Can you check emails in the office so you don’t have to do it at home? Can you ask your person not to text you during work hours so you’re able to stay focused and come home earlier? Sometimes, little changes can make a big difference.
6. Your priorities are going to shift by the day — and that’s okay. On a weekend, you might ignore your work emails because you’ve planned out a day at the beach with your forever person. But on a Monday morning, you might choose to skip breakfast with your person in order to get to the office early to impress your boss. You shouldn’t look at either of those things as choosing your person over work or choosing work over your person. What you consider your top priority is going to change based on the day, time, and mood you’re in.
7. You deserve a healthy love life — and you deserve a thriving career. Don’t let yourself believe you have to sacrifice one area of your life in order to succeed in another area. You can live out your dreams while being married to your dream person. It can happen. You just have to put effort into making it happen.