1. You feel like you’re losing it. You keep misplacing your phone and keys and glasses. You keep zoning out while other people are talking. You keep thinking you’ve seen something or heard something that isn’t there. You feel like you’re slowly losing control.
2. You’ve been lashing out at everyone. Your mood has been swinging rapidly. The smallest thing can set you off. Normally you’re good at controlling your temper, but lately, you have been a grouch. You have been snapping at everyone around you.
3. You’ve been withdrawing from your friends. You haven’t spent much time with the people who love you lately. Maybe it’s because you don’t have an hour to spare or maybe it’s because you don’t want them to see you like this and worry. Either way, your texts have been piling up. You have been hiding yourself away.
4. You’re living more in your head than the real world. You’ve been distracting yourself with books and movies and video games. You’ve been spending most of your time in fantasy worlds because you don’t want to deal with the real world.
5. Your negativity is starting to overpower your positivity. You’ve been feeling hopeless lately. Like a failure. Like there’s no point. You’ve been so swarmed with loneliness and bitterness and regret that you’ve barely left any room for happiness.
6. You’re relying more and more on your worst habits. You’ve been drinking as soon as you get home from work. You’ve been smoking every weeknight instead of saving it for the weekends. You’ve been engaging in self-destructive habits because it’s the simplest way to deal with your stress.
7. Your physical health has been on the decline. You’ve been dealing with a lot of headaches and stomachaches. You keep coughing and sneezing. Your stress has taken such a toll on you that it has made you physically ill.
8. You’ve been feeling numb. There have been recent moments when you’re not exactly sad or disappointed or worried. You’re just numb. You’re just used to the bullshit. It’s not a good feeling — and you’re not sure how to deal with it.
9. You’ve been overwhelmed with chores. You don’t even know where to start because you have so much on your plate right now. You keep procrastinating because even the smallest things seem like mountains you need to conquer. It’s hard for you to get anything done.
10. You’re neglecting the basics. You haven’t been eating right lately. You haven’t been sleeping the right amount either. Whether it’s a purposeful way to punish yourself or by sheer accident, you haven’t been taking good enough care of yourself lately.
11. You’ve been having dark thoughts. Your mind has gone to a bad place lately. A place you hope it never goes again.
If you’re on the edge of a breakdown, make sure you place your mental health as a priority. Even if you haven’t reached a breaking point yet, make sure you don’t keep going and going until you shut down. Take care of yourself now. No more waiting.