1. Going behind my back. You don’t have to sleep with someone to screw me over. Micro-cheating counts. I don’t want you to flirt with another girl until you earn her number, even if you have no intention of texting her. I should be the only person you’re interested in seeing. If I am not enough for you, then you can find the door on your own.
2. Retaining feelings for your ex. I am not a second choice. I am not a backup plan. I am not the placeholder who will keep you warm until your ex decides she wants you back. If you still have feelings for someone else, stay single until you are ready to love again. I want to be the only one occupying your heart.
3. Making me guess how you feel. Mixed signals are a complete waste of my time, so don’t expect me to sit around trying to figure out what you meant by your latest text. I am not interested in playing detective. You can either tell me how much you care about me or I will assume you don’t care at all and cut you out of my world.
4. Making bullshit excuses. I am not as gullible as I might look. If you tell me the reason why you dropped out of my life for three weeks without an explanation is because you were just so busy with work, I won’t care. If you can’t juggle a job and a relationship, you’re a waste of my time anyway.
5. Making false promises. Don’t tell me what I want to hear just to shut me up. If you swear you’re going to do something, then I expect you to follow through on what you’re saying. I expect you to be a man of your word. I don’t waste my time with liars.
6. Shaming me for having feelings. If you get defensive or try to change the subject whenever I tell you how I’m feeling, then I cannot keep you in my world. Believe it or not, I have trouble being vulnerable with people. If I sit you down to have an honest discussion, then it means I trust you. Don’t make me regret it.
7. Refusing to place a label on our relationship. I want to know what you think of me. If you see me as someone you might marry, then tell me. If you see me as someone you only want to sleep with, tell me that too. Don’t keep me in the dark. If I have no idea what I mean to you, then I’m going to assume I mean nothing and start distancing myself.
8. Lying about stupid shit. Don’t act like you like my music to impress me. Don’t pretend you are someone you are not. If I can’t believe you when it comes to the little things, how am I supposed to believe you when it comes to the bigger things?
9. Refusing to apologize. If you hurt me, I expect you to say sorry and mean it. I am not going to give you a second chance if you refuse to acknowledge what you have done wrong and work on changing your behavior. I am not going to let you walk all over me.
10. Acting selfish in the bedroom. I am not your toy. I do not exist to please you. If we are in a relationship, then I expect to receive as much as I give. I expect to be treated as an equal inside and outside of the bedroom.
11. Making me feel bad about being myself. You can tease me about my family or my career, but you can’t criticize them. If you disrespect my passions or where I have come from, then you are disrespecting me, and I am not okay with that.
12. Mistreating me. If we get into an argument (and we will get into arguments), you should still treat me with respect. If you start cursing me out or bringing up pain from my past to ‘win’, then you are a piece of shit. And I don’t date pieces of shit. At least, not anymore.