1. Go to the bathroom right after sex. I know you want to cuddle. I know you don’t want to ruin the mood. But you need to get your ass up and onto the toilet seat. Peeing flushes out the bacteria that can cause urinary tract infections, so you never want to forget to take a trip to the bathroom after your orgasm.
2. Wear cotton underwear. It doesn’t matter how cute your lacy thongs are or how horny you make your man when he catches a glimpse of the straps. You shouldn’t be wearing uncomfortable underwear every single day — just like you shouldn’t be wearing tight pants that hug your crotch every single day. Give your body room to breathe.
3. Drink a shit ton of water. Chances are, you aren’t drinking enough water. Make sure that you carry a bottle around with you, because the more often you drink, the more you’ll go to the bathroom. And the more you go to the bathroom, the more bacteria will leave your system. Besides, all that water will give you clearer skin and boost your immune system.
4. Don’t go from one hole to the other. During sex, don’t put a finger or a toy or a dick inside of your ass and then inside of your vagina. You need to clean yourself (or your toys) up in between holes. Otherwise, you are going to spread the bacteria that causes UTIs and you are going to regret it.
5. Wipe from front to back. When you go to the bathroom, make sure you wipe from front to back every single time. If you do the opposite, you’ll be transferring bacteria from your rectum to your vagina, which is the last thing you want.
6. Make sure your genitals (and your partners’ genitals) are clean. Before you have sex, make sure you’re both squeaky clean. If you aren’t, then take a shower together. Soap up each other’s bodies. Do whatever you have to do to practice good hygiene and get horny at the same time.
7. Take Vitamin C. Eat yogurt. Drink cranberry juice. Even eat garlic, which has been said to kill the kind of bacteria that causes UTIs.
8. Never douche. There is no reason to douche because your vagina cleans itself. That is the way it is built. And stay away from scented products, which could cause irritation.
9. Go to the bathroom as soon as you need to. Don’t wait until you get home because you hate public restrooms or feel bad about asking your friend to stop the car. Don’t put it off for another hour because you’re too lazy to get off the couch or get out of bed. Find a bathroom as soon as you need one.
10. Avoid baths. If you are prone to UTIs, then you should take showers instead of baths. Just in case. You can never be too careful.