Keeping it in his pants and refusing to hit you doesn’t necessarily make him a good boyfriend. Little things can add up to a lot of trouble, so don’t let them slide.
1. He teases you in front of his friends. Not in a flirty way. When he makes fun of your job or your looks, you can tell there’s a layer of seriousness hidden beneath the humor. He’s demeaning you in front of other people, and he thinks it’s funny.
2. He doesn’t want to hear about your passions. When you talk about your artwork or even your favorite anime, he looks at you weird. He might even roll his eyes or make a comment about how he doesn’t understand your hobbies–but he shouldn’t be doing any of that. When you’re excited about something, he should be excited to hear what you have to say.
3. He makes you feel self-conscious. He doesn’t come out and say that you’re ugly or overweight, but he makes you feel that way. He’s always saying how he loves blondes when you’re a brunette or mentioning how you should eat healthier.
4. He hides his phone from you. He has a lock screen on his phone, and you can’t blame him. But whenever he texts in front of you and you ask him who he’s talking to, he won’t tell you. He just makes a joke and dodges the question.
5. He turns down your invitations out. Whenever you invite him to dinner with your friends, he claims he hates the restaurant you’re going to or that your friends would be happier without him there. He’s missing the point. You want to spend time with him. But clearly, he doesn’t want to spend time with you.
6. He lets others criticize you. If his mother makes a mean comment about you, he won’t say anything. He won’t defend you or correct her. If you argue with her, he’ll even take her side.
7. He has no concern for your things. He’ll eat the leftovers you were saving for yourself. He’ll borrow your favorite book and smudge the pages. He’ll rip your favorite leggings when he wants to fuck you. He has no respect for your belongings.
8. He never owns up to his actions. Instead of admitting that yes, he was looking at another girl, he argues with you about it. Calls you crazy. Paranoid. Psychotic. He never takes responsibility for his actions.
9. He strongly suggests how you should dress. He hates pink, so he tells you not to wear it in front of him. And he doesn’t want other men looking at you, so he warns you against wearing makeup. He tries to control your entire wardrobe.
10. He tricks you into feeling guilty. You ran into a male friend and hugged him hello. Nothing inappropriate happened, but your boyfriend makes you feel like you cheated on him. You end up apologizing, even though you’re not sure exactly what you’re apologizing for–and it’s not the first time.