1. Boring texts. If he sends you messages that talk about the new book he’s reading and the groceries he’s picking up from the store, then he’s opening himself up to you. If he only wanted sex, he’d stick to talking about sex. Mundane conversations are actually a positive thing.
2. Morning texts. If he’s thinking about you before 10PM rolls around, it’s always a good sign.
3. Birthday texts. Let’s be honest, if he only wanted sex, he wouldn’t even remember your birthday.
4. Complimentary texts. I’m not talking about the kind that say you’re hot and have a huge rack. I’m talking about the subtle, genuine kind where he thanks you for being a part of his life and tells you how important you are to him.
5. Texts that ask for advice. If he’s asking you if he should change his major or what kind of haircut he should get, he cares about your opinion. You’re not just a toy to him.
6. Texts that include actual plans. If you were just a booty call, he’d be texting you around midnight asking you to come over that night. If he’s making actual dinner plans with you for later in the week, he’s looking for a legitimate date.
7. Texts he initiates for seemingly no reason. If he claims that a random commercial reminded him of you, he’s reaching. He just wants to talk to you, because he likes you.
8. TV show texts. If you text back and forth about what’s happening on New Girl for the full half-hour it’s on, he wants more than just sex. Otherwise, he’d watch the show in peace without checking his phone every two seconds.
9. Apology texts. You don’t want to date a guy that constantly screws up and thinks a quick I’m sorry will wipe the slate clean. But if he seems genuine and it’s a first time offense, he probably likes you. Otherwise, he wouldn’t care about hurting your feelings.
10. Meme filled texts. If he only wanted to fuck you, he wouldn’t be sending you bizarre pictures of Spongegar to start the conversation. If he’s being weird around you, it means he’s comfortable being himself around you.
11. Texts filled with questions. If he actually cares about you, he’ll actually want to know about your day. He’ll ask what you’ve been up to, how work is going, and how your parents are doing.
12. Texts that talk about something deep. If you’re having conversations about the afterlife and the galaxy and human existence, then there’s something serious going on between you two.
13. Lovey dovey texts. Yes, some guys are complete slime and will lie about how much they like you, just to get in your pants. But most guys won’t act mushy and use the L word, unless they legitimately mean it.