It’s up to you. Don’t be upset when your friends are busy and you don’t have anyone to hang out with. I’ve learned to enjoy my time alone and ended up loving it. There is this Australian band called Tame Impala that sings ‘company’s okay, solitude is bliss, there’s a party in my head and no one’s invited’… You have to set everything up for that party because Tame Impala are so right, Solitude Is Bliss. I’ll show you how.
1. Think and explore your mind. When nobody else is around, you get time to think about things you didn’t even know you cared about. Exploring your inner self is an enriching activity that will make everything clear for you: you can put your ideas in order, reflect on the way you want your life to be, realize how much you love someone and even discover how incredibly deep you are! Become the philosopher of your own world.
2. Being alone allows you to do the weirdest things without anybody asking you for an explanation. Time to play some relaxing music and try your best yoga positions, even if you have no idea! You are alone… You can try everything you want. Actually, that’s not the weirdest thing to do. You can just lay in bed and scream and do everything that you feel like doing because no one will think you are crazy —well, maybe the neighbors will… but who cares—. Just learn to have fun doing the things that you are afraid to do in public. For example, I like to sing at the top of my lungs.
3. Daydream. A recent study published in Psychological Science by researchers from the University of Wisconsin and the Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Science states that daydreaming has a lot of benefits for your health, while it’s a sign of a well-equipped brain. Also, it is said that daydreamers are better at remembering information in the face of distraction. It’s easy to start: just think about how your perfect day would begin and let your imagination do the rest. I sometimes picture myself seeing my favorite music group live, or living some adventures with my friends, and it can be very funny!
4. Read. Some people don’t realice how beautiful reading is. Plus, if you’re reading alone no one will interrupt that amazing chapter where your favorite character discovers the truth about his parents and you will be able to live the story without any distraction.
5. Go outside for a walk. You don’t get to know how good feels walking until you start doing it. There’s no need to have a place to go, just get out your house and start walking. If you live in the countryside, congrats, you can enjoy the sound of the birds, contemplate the nature and breathe that fresh air. If you live in a big city, don’t worry, there are always green zones where to spend your time, and if you can’t find one, you can just wander around the streets paying attention to the citizens. I like to play a game that I call ‘You probably are…’: you chose a random girl or boy and try to imagine his life. I make up sad, melancholic lives for some of them, and the happiest experiences for others. I will never know if that kid that was actually crying because his parents wouldn’t let him go to the circus, or if that girl was going to the airport to pick up his boyfriend who had been on exchange in an European university.