When I say That Girl all the ladies know exactly which one I’m talking about. She can take many different forms: she can be the drunk girl crying into her vodka soda with black tears staining her cheeks, the girl with better hair and heavier makeup than anyone else, the girl that can’t be happy without a dangler (male) paying her attention, the girl that posts a selfie every five seconds because she needs the constant reassurance of the “likes” to know she’s pretty or she could be the girl sitting at home in her sweatpants going ALL IN into a pint of Ben and Jerry’s and a twilight marathon after a breakup. This is just the beginning.
There is an endless list of things that makes someone That Girl. The common ground between them is that none of us want to be one of Those Girls. We spend so much time saying to one another things like “Don’t be That Girl.” or “I wouldn’t do that, you don’t want him to think you’re one of Those Girls.” We try to put distance between “us” and “them;” but instead I’m here to tell you that we’re all one in the same and that’s why they deserve our love.
1. That Girl is going through something. As an onlooker it isn’t our job to figure out what that something is but it is our job to recognize that maybe they aren’t so different from us.
2. That Girl needs the benefit of the doubt. I think we can all recall one emotional night or so after a bottle or two of wine where we could be categorized as one of Those girls but it doesn’t define us. This is just their time in the That Girl spotlight.
3. Who are we to say that what That Girl is doing is wrong? So maybe she’s insecure, we all are at some point. So maybe she’s needy, can you honestly say you’ve never been? I know I can’t.
4. Sometimes it’s just fun and feels good to be That Girl whether or not we want to admit it.
5. My final and most important reason: More times than not girls ostracize other girls. We make each other feel bad. We all want to be perfect and as a result we try to point out the flaws in others to distract from our own. This is why the fear of being That Girl is so real to all of us… because we make it real. In reality, we are all That Girl at some point and it’s okay. There’s nothing wrong with that. We all have times that we look back on that make us blush but those embarrassing memories make us realize why we felt how we did and how far we’ve come since then and that’s what makes us beautiful.
So ladies, if you’d like to be That Girl tonight or any other night I’ll be right behind you rooting you on. There’s nothing wrong with you. There’s nothing wrong with me. We’re all That Girl and we’re together in that so let’s spread the love.