America’s favorite country-turned-pop singer released her new album “1989” on Monday, October 27. With all of the buzz around this new piece, it seems fitting to look back at her older songs and what we’ve learned from them, especially when it comes to love (and she’s not the only musician who knows how to get us in the right feels).
Whether you love or hate TSwift, you’ve got to admit – she has some great insight about dating.
- “State the obvious, I didn’t get my perfect fantasy”:Unlike most of what Hollywood says, Swift points out that not all relationships are perfect. In fact, many are far from it. Sometimes instead of happily ever after, you’ve got pictures to burn, and that is perfectly OK.
- “I shouldn’t be asking myself, ‘Why?'”: Your beau may do something stupid and hurtful that leaves you wondering what you could’ve done to prevent it. Stop it. Swift shows it’s not your responsibility to figure out their dumb mistakes—it’s theirs.
- “I’ve found time can heal most anything”:Whether you’re 15, 25 or 50, there will be relationships that break your heart. You might not understand until later, or you might never truly understand, but the pain inside will eventually ease and go away. Just ask Swift.
- “And I never knew I could feel that much”:You don’t have to settle for a relationship where you’re simply complacent. Love is full of emotions, even if they’re not always good. Swift really demonstrates how that kind of passion is important for a couple to thrive.
- “People throw rocks at things that shine”:Just because people don’t understand your relationship doesn’t mean you should end things. Every couple is different, and Swift wants you embrace that difference. After all, this love is yours, not anyone else’s.
- “Miscommunications lead to fall-out”:As Swift mentions, a lack of communication between you and your boo can lead to relationship failure. You should be clear about what it is you want, what makes you happy and what upsets you. How else will they know?
- “You took the time to memorize me”:Know what makes your partner tick. Learn about their past and what they look for in the future. Swift sings about this as something that will encourage them to stay (stay, stay) because they know you truly get them.
- “We are never ever, ever getting back together.”:Sometimes you just have to call it quits and move on. There is no use trying to make something work if it obviously doesn’t. Learn from Swift—know when to cut your losses and go find a relationship that works.
- “Today was a fairy tale”: Take note of the little things. As Swift says, it might be the way they kiss, the way they stand there or something else, but hold on to it. It’s these little moments that will carry you through the tough times, so you’ll want to remember them.
- “I go on too many dates”:Who’s to judge if you’re out there looking for the person who’s the perfect fit for you? The only way to find them is by dating, as Swift knows. So shake off what anyone might be saying about your pursuit of true love—you’ve got this.