1. Cuddling: Despite all those weird radio ad’s from Blue Shield Insurance about how hugging and laughing more can improve your health, I believe the cuddling can really help combat the S.A.D’s. Whether your cuddling up on the couch with a blanket, a bowl of popcorn, or loved one, cuddling creates a warm fuzzy feeling that can melt away your sadness.
2. Soft Lighting: While we are approaching the shortest day of the year, sunlight is becoming a rare commodity, and sometimes, never appears at all. Most of us around the country are experiencing grey and cloudy weather, but instead of thinking of winter as gloomy and depressing, think of it as a blessing. Overcast weather creates soft lighting, which is more flattering for your face than the harsh and direct sunlight of summer. Think of the gloom as your perfect opportunity to meet someone special or take new photos for your internet romances.
3. Dancing: Movement is key to keep the gloomy-kill-me-now feelings at bay. Dance in your living room, dance while you get dress, dance at the bus stop to be warm. We have music available to us at all times, on our phones, on your iPods, where ever you are you can most likely dance. You’ll probably be eating a lot too, so might as well try your best to not get fat and sad at the same time. Besides, dancing like no one is watching is the best.
4. Cat/ Dog Videos: It’s simple, a cute animal doing cute things makes you feel giddy. You just want to squeeze them and kiss them till it hurts. Hey, maybe for the holidays you can even dog/cat sit your friends pets while they are out of town and make your own videos. The Internet can NEVER have enough animal videos.
5. Layers: With the winter comes heavy coats, sweaters, scarves, pants, gloves, and hats. Overall, men and women bundle up. I don’t know about you, but I love winter fashion. I love the way men dress up for the winter especially. Nothing is nicer then seeing a guy in a big peacoat and scarf and beanie. I would choose winter fashion over shorts and sandals on a guy any day. Women also get a good excuse to hide “problem” areas and wear all their favorite clothes at once. Overall, I think everyone jumps up a bit on the hotness scale, which is always nice.
6. The Stars: They come out earlier and they are beautiful. Let them remind you of the infinite universe and what a miracle it is to be alive on our tiny planet. Let them inspire you like they did for the philosophers, musicians, and painters that came before you.
7. Books: There are tons of articles about how Facebook and Instagram are adding to people’s anxiety and depression. Fuck it. Turn it off, don’t look at your friends having fun in Hawaii while you freeze in your studio apartment. instead, read a book, write a book, see a play, make music, have dinner with friends, whatever. Just do something that is in real life with real people. IRL shouldn’t just be a phrase on Reddit.
8. Hobbies: Starting a new hobby or picking up an old one can help keep your self loathing self to a minimum. Idle hands and idle minds are dangerous. Even when my car idles to long it turns off! Okay its super old but If you have time off work, take advantage of it and do something you have been postponing. Time is a great gift.
9. Long Drives: Make a mix, and drive aimlessly up the coast,or around your block, and look at all the lights and decorations for the holidays. If you are in L.A you should definitely check out Candy Cane Lane. They go all out.
10. Fires: They smell good, they keep you warm, and are super romantic. Relax with some hot chocolate or burn pictures of your ex, whatever way you use your fire is a great way to keep your mind clear and melt away the S.A.Ds.