Drawing tutorials can be frustrating, especially when you’re a new artist. But if you practice, you’re going to become better and better! If you want a drawing lesson, you might as well learn how to draw a cute animal! And there’s nothing more impressive than a cute Pikachu. Here is a drawing tutorial to teach you how to draw Pikachu. After all, he is the most popular character in Pokemon. This will impress every child and adult you meet!
How to draw Pikachu’s body:
1. If you want to draw Pikachu, step one is to envision a potato. I know that sounds weird but just do it. Have it in your head? Now draw a potato-like blob.
2. If you want to draw, step two is to draw a circle within the top of your potato. This is where our face will be.
3. Since we’re viewing our Pikachu from a three-quarter view angle, we’re going to draw some facial guidelines. Let’s start with the vertical line going down the center of our face circle. Remember, we’re at a three-quarter view so our center line won’t be in the center of our circle. It will be pushed more to one side than the other.
4. Now let’s draw the horizontal line in the center of our circle. Our eyes will later be resting on this axis.
5. Draw a very flattened out oval underneath that horizontal axis line. This is our cheek area.
6. Next up are the thighs. Begin by drawing an oval on the bottom of your potato. This one should be peeking outwards from the potato a bit.
7. Here’s your other thigh oval, which should intersect your other oval but rest completely within your potato.
8. Now draw another smaller oval resting between the outer rim of your head circle and your thigh circle. This is your left arm.
9. Continue by drawing another oval on the right side. This should rest on and intersect with your right thigh.
10. Now for the feet! Draw a very small oval underneath each thigh.
How to draw the ears:
11. Give him some ears so he can hear you better. Draw a rabbit ear oval on each side of the head circle. Remember that Pikachu’s ears are asymmetrical, so one is more crooked than the other.
How to draw the face:
12. It’s time for our eyes, which rest on both our horizontal axis line and the top of our cheek oval.
13. I smell a nose! Draw in a tiny oval right below that cheek line. Later, we’ll turn this into a tiny triangle.
14. Pikachu’s mouth is very adorable and it kind of resembles the number 3 if it were turned on it’s side. Draw two curved lines that join in the center (vertical face guideline).
15. Let’s get cracking on those rosy cheeks! Draw two circles towards the bottom of your cheek oval.
Your left cheek will be cut off because of our three-quarter rule so please keep that in mind.
16. Next, let’s draw those black thing on the tips of Pikachu’s ears. No idea what they’re supposed to be but it wouldn’t be complete without them! Draw two curved lines at the tips of the ears.
How to draw Pikachu’s tail:
17. Take a deep breath. It’s time for that famous lightning bolt tail. I like to draw it in sections which I refer to in my mind as “tail turds”. A fun and disgusting way to remember it! Let’s begin by drawing our first tiny “turd” which begins, perpendicular, at the top of the right thigh circle.
18. Draw your other turd at the perpendicular end of that one.
19. Get your other turd in there but make it a little bigger than your last one.
20. Yet another larger turd on top of that one
21. And another.
22. This next one will be quite long and should end at around the eye line.
23. Now for the end of your tail which looks more like a flag than a turd!
24. Now that the potty humor is over, let’s begin to ink over our rough sketch lines. Draw the line for the outer side of your face, keeping in mind how our cheek will stick out a bit from our head.
25. Draw the left ear. Pikachu’s ears point at the ends.
26. Here’s the top of your head, which is rather flat.
27. Draw your other ear.
28. Let’s draw Pikachu’s back next. Think about potatoes again when you’re drawing this line. You should have it dip slightly in the center.
How to finish the hands and feet:
29. Get that tiny foot in there! Remember to draw your toes, which are nothing more than two lines in the center of your foot.
30. The bottom of your Pikachu should kind of resemble the mouth…two curved lines joined together at the center.
31. There’s the other foot.
32. It’s arm time! Draw in the outside of your arm to join all of your lines.
33. Draw your other arm line on the right-hand side of that line.
34. Complete your left arm by drawing in your fingers. This can be done rather quickly by drawing a curvy line (or sine wave).
35. Draw your right arm lines now.
36. Then those sine wave fingers.
How to finish the face:
37. Get those eyeballs in there now. Draw in a smaller circle within each as your eye highlight/reflection.
38. Your nose is nothing more than the tiniest triangle ever. Draw that on top of your tiny nose oval that you previously sketched.
39. Here comes that mouth.
40. Draw your cheek circles next.
41. And you’re finally at the tail end of this tutorial! Ink out your tail line now. Zig-zag-ing to the finish line!
42. Pikachu has some stripes on his back so let’s draw those now.
43. Now erase those sketch lines.
44. Now you can color Pikachu. After all, no Pikachu is complete without those iconic Pikachu colors! So let’s color within those lines. You can simply use color pencils on paper!
Voila! And we are done. Now I’m craving french fries…