Let’s start off easy with some straight hair. Then, we can try our hand at drawing something a little harder.
1. Grab the image you want to base your drawing off of. I’m choosing this one:
2. Draw in your head just so that you have something to work on top of. Also, you kind of need a head for this eventually.
3. Draw a full outline of your hair. This will help you decide what shape you want your hair to take overall.
4. This next step is optional but I like to add in my “holes” or the places where my hair separates and lets the light in. This makes things easier for me when I’m drawing each individual hair by remembering where I want the hair to separate.
5. Draw in your main hair strips or sections. Sectioning out your hair will help you determine how each hair curves aka what shape you should draw.
6. Section the rest of your hair out.
7. Now, go into each hair section and draw each individual hair going in the direction determined by your section. Luckily for you, it’s just a simple S curve right now. You can space them out however you like but since my model has dark hair, I’m sticking my hairs real close to each other.
8. Complete your hair!
9. Now you can get rid of some outline edges so things look more natural.
10. Get rid of the part of your head that’s covered in hair.
11. And you’re done! She cute.
Ok, now let’s ramp it up and see if you can handle drawing curly hair.
1. Start off with a reference image of your choosing.
2. Get that beautiful head in. Fantastic skull!
3. Here comes your hair outline.
4. Now add in your hair “holes”.
5. Draw your first hair section. This shape will of course be different than the shape you used for straight hair. Get familiar with the shape of your model’s hair.
6. Draw the rest of your sections.
7. Now fill in each section with your individual strands.
8. Alright, don’t freak out! If you look closely, I just drew a bunch of wavy lines next to each other. Your drawing definitely doesn’t have to look as complex as mine. Just make it up as you go along and have fun with it!
9. Finish up drawing all those little hairs. Phew! That took forever. Why do I do this to myself?!
10. Remove your “outline”.
11. Erase your invisible head parts, and bam! You are DONE, girl. If you need me, I’ll be in the bathroom crying.