I probably still have a long way to go in this thing called life, but I also think that I have reached that age wherein I am qualified to share some of the best lessons I’ve learned so far. I’m just taking a shot in the dark here that I can convince anyone who is reading this that life does not have a cookie-cutter; what makes you happy might be a stress-trigger for someone else. We are all wired differently and I know how frustrating it feels to shove a square peg in a round hole just to please everybody and to be a part of something. Hey, guess what? You don’t have to!
It took me quite a while to find my voice and my place in this world and I honestly wish I have learned these things in one go, but I didn’t. So, here’s a simplified version of the lessons I’ve learned in my 31 years of existence.
1. You shouldn’t be afraid to be different.
2. Alcohol is a depressant.
3. Confidence is a skill that can be learned.
4. You are never too young or too old to learn a new skill.
5. There is always an underlying issue behind a migraine (or other chronic diseases).
6. Delete ‘friends’ from social media with a clear head, not out of anger or extreme emotions.
7. You don’t have to attend all parties.
8. Self-care is NOT selfish.
9. Never underestimate the power of intangible benefits.
10. Respect yourself enough to walk away from things, people or situations that make you unhappy.
11. You will never be satisfied doing what you hate.
12. Always choose quality over quantity.
13. If you’re always getting the short end of the stick, leave!
14. Traveling could be one of the few things you wouldn’t regret doing.
15. Choose authenticity over approval.
16. You don’t have to talk about things that you are uncomfortable sharing with people you don’t trust.
17. Hearing the words “Thank you” is heartwarming but it won’t always bring food on the table.
18. Loyalty has nothing to do with the length of time you’ve spent somewhere or with someone. It’s about the undivided attention that you gave while you were there.
19. Integrity will never go out of style.
20. Try your best not to raise your voice but be ruthless about raising your standards.
21. You are the hero/heroine in the story of your life, STOP playing victim!
22. Change your address as many times as you want before deciding to settle.
23. You don’t have to settle just because everyone is settling.
24. Violence is different from defense.
25. Presence over presents.
26. Always have a graceful exit.
27. People will judge you no matter how much you make and how good you are to them.
28. Vibes don’t lie.
29. Solitude does not equate to loneliness.
30. You have to find a way to turn your limit to infinite.
31. Always walk out of a battle with dignity regardless of the outcome.