1. Candles. Mad scented candles.
2. Framed art.
3. A trash can. A non-ugly trash can.
4. A towel rack. For maximum post-shower preparedness.
5. A coat rack.
6. RACKS ON RACKS. Sorry. But really. A shoe rack is a good move. Racks, of course, are not the most inherently girly thing. But not a lot of things on this list are, and that’s really the point. That and I always see dude’s stuff in piles — embrace rack city, bitch.
7. An electric kettle for tea, cup o’ noodles, and other instant food pleasure purposes.
8. Personal affectations in the form of mementos: ticket stubs, notebooks, clippings. Things you care about.
9. Slippers! For leisure.
10. A bathrobe. For extravagant leisure.
11. A soft throw blanket, for the simplest luxurious of leisure.
12. One very important, aesthetically pleasing morning hot beverage mug.
13. Fresh flowers and/or potted plants.
14. A non-plastic laundry bin.
15. A real bed frame, one that you enjoyed, wanted, and set up and thought “yeah” as opposed to “but I could just put my mattress on the floor tho.”
16. Pillows. A few good choice ones in addition to the bed ones, decorative but functional.
17. An overhead light, twinkly strand lights, and/or a good standing lamp. A well-lit place is lit.
18. Good books, music, and magazines at the ready.
19. Chapstick. Spare lip balms everywhere.
20. Moisturizer, the kind you actively use. Next to your cologne, a good scent.
21. An organized bureau of drawers and/or a cozy closet. Full of only the things you really like, the good ones, and the not-so-good things you’re just stoked on — yeah, those old concert tee shirts. From seventh grade. Keep those. Tucked away, though. Preserved in boyhood, proudly.