Like all of life’s best lessons, they are typically learned the hard way. Every occurrence, no matter how insignificant it may seem, molds us into who we are. Through trials and tribulations we discover our truest self. Everyone needs a reminder sometimes that they are worthy. And once you find your worth, don’t ever forget it. For some people it comes easily; for others, like myself, it took a very long time to get where I am today.
It took me 25 years to learn…
1. It’s okay to ask for a raise.
2. You don’t have to be polite to the creepy gas station attendant. Or the creepy guy in your office. Or anyone that makes you feel uncomfortable.
3. Your body is perfect just the way it is. Anyone that says otherwise is not worth your time anyway.
4. You’re allowed to say no when you don’t want to do something.
5. It’s okay (and even healthy) to have a different belief system than your parents. Or to want something different out of life.
6. Ask for exactly what you want. You may not always get it but at least you were heard.
7. Leave someone who doesn’t bring out the absolute best in you.
8. Not everyone is going to like you. But the ones who do will love you unconditionally.
9. It’s okay to eat an entire pint of ice cream in one sitting. Don’t dwell, just enjoy.
10. It’s never too late to learn something new. Take ballet or piano or learn Japanese! Do what speaks to you.
11. Be loud, take up space, make yourself heard, look people in the eye, and stop saying sorry when you’ve done nothing wrong.
12. Stop judging those around you. They are doing the best that they can and they have problems you wouldn’t understand.
13. Don’t compare yourself to others. I know everyone on your Facebook timeline is getting engaged or getting their dream job but you have to trust your own journey.
You’ll figure everything out in your own time and hopefully, it won’t take you 25 years to do so. Stay true to your beautiful self and make sure that no one in your life is dimming your light.