If You Use Social Media Like An Attention Whore, You Are Just Pathetic

I admit I kinda log onto Facebook in an automatic negative demeanour. Newsfeed after newsfeed are people writing quotes of inspiration, asking you to support their band or like their clothing brand page. I personally think it’s lame. I consider these people pathetic because of their constant need of attention from social media fans. I mean, this is the “me” culture, right? It’s the culture of brandishing yourself so brilliantly that your social media followers have no choice but to click on your link and add their opinion; or at least “like” the damn thing. To tell you the truth, about 40% of my Facebook friends are advertising something on my newsfeed every day. The other 60% are advertising themselves by uploading selfies or Instagram pics of salmon scrambled eggs Benedict with a green juice or whatever. Either way, I perceive it’s all for attention. I think they should get a grip. No one cares that you’re in a band. No one cares that you got a tattoo. Stop trying to be famous. Everyone knows where desperation got Robin Thicke and Miley Cyrus. To be fair, it did make them famous, which is what they wanted, but it also gave them a completely undignified reputation.

Too many kids these days are given the amount of credit that would suggest them a genius. People are becoming famous for achieving absolute nada, just for the sake of it. 40% of my newsfeed are heading in the same direction. They have fuck all talent or skills, and yet people are actually giving them their time.

And so I began to ponder about what would happen if, actually, people stopped advertising themselves to the point of making fools of themselves. What if people stopped looking desperate? Well, we wouldn’t be able to watch the initial auditions on “X Factor” and laugh at all the socially retarded people. I wouldn’t have to read statuses about how someone missed their flight to Bali and their mates started taking pills without them. Also, there’d be less time wasted on letting people down when they didn’t make the cut on acting and writing talent competitions because they “just weren’t quite there”. You know why? Because people wouldn’t assume they’re brilliant enough to even audition for the damn thing. There also wouldn’t be a tonne of fat guys on my newsfeed in before and after shots. I’m not going to try your diet program. We get it. Eat less, exercise more. Also, I wouldn’t have to cultivate through all the photos of chicks with their boobs out posing for a photo in a club taken by a photographer while he gropes her from behind. Are you like, a model? Hey, there’s some perks.

And you know what would happen? We’d actually devote more time to people who can sing. We’d read about the interesting stuff that happens in peoples’ lives that does matter. We’d let our eyes linger over girls who have actual style and hot bodies. Maybe it could be those girls who actually know something about the fashion industry and don’t consider themselves to be totally unique, cool and interesting socialites because they’re wearing a ripped American Apparel dress and have shaved the left third of their hair off. Yeah, so maybe we should all try and be a bit more discerning about what we give our time to. We should spend more of our time devoted to proper eloquent reading and sophisticated, intelligent people. We should delete all the bullshit clogging up our newsfeed, TVs and conversations. Not everyone is brilliant. Most things are bullshit. Stop wasting my time. Thought Catalog Logo Mark

image – Facebook

Related

More From Thought Catalog