Oftentimes, people will tell you to trust yourself. They will tell you to listen to your inner voice because, most likely, it’s almost always true. Well, this is not one of those times. And trust me when I say, “don’t always trust yourself.”
1. Don’t trust yourself when you say “you are better than others.” Sometimes too much confidence can be illusory. You may be smart but there will always be someone out there who is so much smarter than you. Learn to be modest. Don’t compete with others rather compete with yourself. In this way, you don’t just become a better version of yourself, you’re also not as pressured when you feel a little behind someone else.
2. Don’t trust yourself when you say “you have loved enough.” There is no such thing as loving enough. When you love someone, you love them more than words can say. You love them when they come fresh from the shower and love them still when they’re sticky with sweat. Don’t be afraid to show them what you feel. Hug them tight. Kiss them with passion. Don’t shy away. Be proud that you are capable of the most beautiful feeling.
3. Don’t trust yourself when you say “you are okay.” It’s okay to feel bad. Everybody has felt bad more than once in their lives. Let sadness hug you for a little while. You don’t have to get right back shortly. It will take time to recover. And who cares if it takes you months or even years? You know when you are ready more than anyone else.
4. Don’t trust yourself when you say “you are pretty.” You are more than just a pretty face. You are beautiful, inside and out. You can make a man fall in love with you when you are sixteen, and make him love you even more at forty. Your value is not measured by how perfect your eyebrows are. Your value is defined by how you consider yourself. So don’t just aim to be appealing. Aim to be strong and engaging.
5. Don’t trust yourself when you say “you are all good.” Don’t cut your story short. You may have done well, but know that you are capable of something more. Keep pushing yourself to do greater things. You are born to make things happen.
Too many of us have fooled ourselves with our own little lies. In times like this, it’s okay not to trust yourself.