1. You don’t need someone to complete you. You aren’t part of a puzzle that is waiting for someone to come fill in the missing pieces. You aren’t incomplete because you are on your own and you surely aren’t lacking a better half. You are whole and brilliant and you are perfectly capable of being happy on your own.
2. Work hard now and the relationship will follow. Work hard in your job, work really hard and put your career first because once you find something you love it makes the rest of your life easier. Don’t skip out on work to look for love because love will find you when it’s ready, but your career can pass you by any second.
3. You can’t force love. As much as being alone may suck for you sometimes you can’t force love. You can’t force someone to want to be with you, it just doesn’t work that way.
4. You can’t force someone to stay. You just can’t. You could think they’re your soulmate but they might not think that of you. You can’t force them to stay if all they want is to leave – it will only make things messy and worse.
5. You should never make excuses for someone. Don’t tell yourself they are a good person and try to block out all the bad things they’ve done just because they showed you a little bit of interest. It’s better to be alone than with someone who’s not a good person at their core.
6. It’s better to be alone than in a shitty almost relationship. Don’t put yourself in a position to be someone’s “almost” because you don’t deserve to be an almost relationship. You deserve to be so much more than that. You should be someone’s whole choice, not an after thought. Don’t allow yourself to be half-loved when you know you deserve more than that.
7. Even if you feel alone, you’re not. There are some nights you’re going to by lying in bed hugging your pillow wondering why you’re alone, but you’re not the only one feeling that way, even if you think you are. You’re not the only one who has lonely nights and lonely days, you’re not alone in your emotions and how you feel. Don’t ever feel alienated and isolated in solidarity because I can promise you that you’re not alone.
8. You are not lacking love. Just because you might be single doesn’t mean you are lacking love. You have love from your family and friends and coworkers and pets. You have love coming towards you in multiple directions, but you’re only focused on one. Take a step back and love those who love you.
9. You don’t need to be married by 29. People are scared shitless to go into their 30s alone, but there is no reason to be scared. There is nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about in regards to being single. There is no expiration date on you, no one is going to look at you and say, “wow, she’s still single and she’s ____.” No. No one is going to judge you on you’re age and your single status.
10. Being in a relationship won’t fix your problems. Sadly, many people are in relationships where they feel alone or that they want to leave. Jumping into a relationship isn’t going to magically make everything better and you can still wind up feeling alone in a relationship if it isn’t with the right person. I know you want love and I know being single can be scary from time to time, but trust that everything will work out because it will. Work on yourself now and then you will be confident in your relationship.