If you’re thinking this is about finding true love or the person you’re going to spend the rest of your life with, you can stop reading now.
This is not a gooey love post about finding the person you’re going to marry and live happily ever after with, it’s better. If you’ve ever watched Grey’s Anatomy, you know where this is headed.
This is about finding your person. Your person was introduced to us in Grey’s Anatomy in season one and has continued to be a phrase to live by when talking about your best friend.
My Person: The person your share the most with. The person you can’t go without talking too. The person you write down as your emergency contact. The person you can’t imagine doing life without. The person you tell your fears and secrets to. The person who knows you inside and out. The person you can trust with absolutely anything. The person you care the absolute most about.
Now that it’s been defined, choosing your person is not a responsibility that should be taken lightly. If you think about it, your person should be someone you care about the most. This person should be someone you protect from getting hurt because when they get hurt, it’s like you are getting hurt. Your person is your very best friend.
Are you thinking about someone in particular? Congrats! You’ve discovered your person!
There are things that should be considered before you start calling them your person. These things include:
1. Do you have a long lasting friendship with this person?
2. Do you share everything with this person?
3. Do you protect him/her from shitty relationships?
4. Do you talk him/her out of bad ideas?
5. Do you help him/her with terrible ideas?
6. Do you confess your fears to him/her and no one else?
7. Do you talk about the secrets that happen within the bedroom with this person?
8. Do/would you list this person as your emergency contact?
9. Do you call him/her just to talk?
10. Do your share your location with him/her?
11. Do you show up randomly at his/her house?
12. Have you been friends so long that his/her family is also your family?
13. Do they know what you’re thinking/feeling with just a look?
14. Can they gauge your emotions without saying anything at all?
15. Can you just sit in silence with this person and be content?
16. Do you watch Superbad over and over again and laugh at every funny part as if you’re watching it for the very first time?
17. Can you tell him/her your honest opinion?
18. Can you tell him/her the truth about things you can’t tell to other people?
If you can answer yes to all of these, you’ve found your person.
Your person is basically your soulmate/soul sister. You don’t care if life gets too busy and you’re not able to talk every day because no matter what, you always know what’s going on in this person’s life. You care about how they’re spending their day and who they’re spending it with.
You should be able to tell the whole world that you’re in love with your best friend. You’ve found your person.