Life is only worth a damn because it’s short. It’s designed to be consumed, used, spanked, lived, felt. We’re supposed to fill it with every mistake and miracle we can manage and then we’re supposed to let go- Marian Anastasia Hawthorne
Whether it’s a bad memory, a grudge, a relationship that can’t mend or a broken heart, there’s always a time to let go.
1. Holding onto anything takes effort and that effort subtly overshadows your life. Think of the negative things you are holding onto as a huge dark cloud constantly looming over you and blocking the sunlight. There is no room for anything positive or bright in your life so take a deep breath and blow that dark shadow away.
2. Ever wondered why you never really accomplish as much as you should? It’s because you are hoarding bad memories and experiences and you are letting your past dictate your future. You will never find what you are seeking if you do not have the strength to let go and look at the world through new eyes.
3. The negative things in your life serve only one purpose and that purpose is to be a tool for knowledge. If you don’t let go of the negative things, you can never learn from them because you will always be blinding by baseline emotions. Don’t hinder your growth by holding onto these things.
4. Forgiveness and acceptance will bring you peace. It will allow you to clean your slate and let you move on. If you hold onto a grudge you are digging your own grave and filling your life with violent energy. Letting go will give you that peace of mind to move forward.
5. If you don’t let go, you will never truly live in the present. And if you don’t exist in the present then you’re half-way living your life from memory to memory instead of opening your eyes and truly appreciating what’s around you. You’ll lose sight of opportunities, new loves and new memories.
6. If you let go, you can spend your energy on the things that you CAN change. Remember that famous saying? “Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference” – This quote is the true example of what you need in your life. You need to let go of the things you cannot change in order to devote yourself to focusing on what is to come.
7. Both your inner and your outer beauty depend on your ability to let go. When you let go, it cleanses you inside and out. If you keep worrying about the things of the past, you put an unnecessary stress on your body. Stress is a precursor for a variety of health problems so take charge of your body and your life and just let go.
8. I know it’s clichéd but life isn’t waiting around the corner for everyone to forgive their mistakes, patch up old friendships or move on and make right by their past. Let go of anything you are harboring especially the slightest grudge or hatred towards someone else because it will save you from your grief or your guilt if you don’t.
9. Slavery is a thing of the past but by holding on to something, you are making yourself a slave and those insignificant things you refuse to let go of, are your master. Take responsibility of your life and rip those chains off. There is a sense of accomplishment when you make that conscious decision to be the master of your own life.
10. Let go if not for all of the above reasons then for the sole reason of being happy, truly happy. “The amount of happiness that you have depends on the amount of freedom you have in your heart.” Free your heart that clutter and in that freedom, you will find happiness.