Cheers to all the couples out there who’ve made it throughout the years of college, but to the freshman out there who think it’s time to hitch a ride on the relationship bandwagon, here’s 10 reasons why you should reconsider.
1. TIME: This is your time. It’s your chance to morph from being nobody in High School to a full blown socialite in your college years. A relationship is going to tie you down. You don’t need to split your time between canoodling and hitting all the social events.
2. YOU’RE YOUNG: Your life is just about to start. You have plenty of time in the future to be tied at the hip to someone but for now, just relax and enjoy your first year stress free.
3. SPACE: You don’t want a guy or girl holding you back from hitting a party or joining a sorority. Being in a relationship is going to prevent you from experiencing everything you are entitled to as a freshman.
4. EXPERIENCE: You’re barely an adult and you don’t know who you’re going to end up with. The world is filled with possibilities so don’t rush into anything. College is filled with people from all over the world so don’t’ restrict yourself by jumping into a relationship immediately. Get a taste of what else the world has to offer.
5. SELF- GROWTH: You’re like a planted seed waiting to sprout and grow. Don’t let someone pick you before you blossom into the person you want to be. I’m not saying to be a nun or a priest but just give yourself time to grow as a person before you start something serious.
6. FRIENDS: You know that girl who gets a boyfriend and suddenly ditches all her other friends? Yeah, don’t be like that. Invest the time in finding a really good group of friends before shacking up with someone. College is the time to build lifelong relationships not one lifelong marriage.
7. MISTAKES: You don’t to make all your huge college mistakes when you’re in a relationship. Do yourself a favor and make all your mistakes and learn from them before you settle down.
8. GRADES: Yeah let’s not forget the real reason you’re at college. Your grades should be a priority and no one should distract you from that. You don’t want to flunk all through college and wonder what happened at the end of it.
9. EXTRA-CURRICULAR: Don’t stop yourself from figuring out if you’re a rhythmic gymnast or a volleyball star in the making. Try everything at college- dabble here and there in the art clubs and the music classes. If you are in a relationship you’re going to want to spend your free time doing other things.
10. PATIENCE: Your time will come. Just because all of your friends are all snatched up doesn’t mean you have to run and shag the first person you see. After all, good things come to those who wait and if you aren’t in a relationship before you start college then take it as an opportunity to get to know yourself in your first year and experience the true freedom college has to offer.