We all know those people who act like they never left high school. You know, the same people that acted like gym class was the Olympics? Or, the people that walked the hallways like they were on an episode of America’s Next Top Model? Or… I could go on and on. (Obviously, high school was not a good time for me.)
On the other hand, there are people that we see after high school and we think to ourselves, “Hot damn. They really grew up.” Then, you begin to wonder, have I done the same? Am I an A+ adult? To answer this question, I have come up with a list of signs that symbolize development after high school:
1. You stop feeling jealous of others and start counting your own blessings.
2. You realize that not being yourself is a waste of time and energy.
3. The desire to prove yourself to others diminishes. Instead, you care more about living up to your own expectations.
4. You no longer need endless gold-star praise and a solid GPA to boost your self-confidence.
5. Your self-confidence comes from within and from what makes you happy.
6. Depending on other people getting things done is not your go-to plan of attack. First and foremost, you depend on yourself to get things done.
7. Treating others the way that you want to be treated is part of how you operate. It is no longer simply a school slogan.
8. You try to keep your life (and living space) organized because you want to, not because you are told to.
9. Major life decisions no longer require a phone call to your parents.
10. You finally realize what your parents meant when they said that money does not grow on trees.
11. Blazing your own path, instead of following everyone else, is a must.
12. Acting silly makes you feel powerful and you’ve taken on a “dance like no one’s watching” mentality.
13. You are not afraid to work hard or get your hands dirty if it means accomplishing a goal.
14. You are never late to anything.
15. Going to bed early is important because you never want to be late to anything.
16. Exploring and trying new things has become a top 5 hobby of yours.
17. You are no longer desperate for a significant other because you realize that true love takes time and you have nothing to prove.
18. You make mistakes, learn from them, and move on because you are not afraid of failure.