While walking through any college campus, you’ll hear a lot of questionable phrases being thrown around. At my campus at the University of Dubuque, there are hardly any issues, but there are still phrases I hear that make me cringe. As a man, even I’m offended by some of the phrases other “men” are using.
1. “I’d fuck her.” Boy, do you hear yourself right now? I bet that girl would tear your ego apart in about five seconds. And you sure as hell aren’t going to get anywhere with her.
2. “I’m going to slide into her DMs.” Hear me out. This is not difficult. Ask her to go on a date in person. This generation is using social media as a crutch to get to know people. And it’s time we change that.
3. “Damn she is thick!” One of my close friends reacted to this perfectly: “It makes me feel like I’m not important. That I am just a walking sex object or just something to look at and be used.”
4. “Do you have a boyfriend?” What a great way to start a conversation.
5. “Why is that girl dressed like that? She looks like such a slut.” Marissa Joers says, “A woman can wear what she wants, and men should not assume it is done to attract them or invite sexual encounters.”
Now ladies, if you ever hear these phrases, here are some clever counter-phrases that will destroy any and all of these comments.
1. “Haha, and you wonder why everyone talks about you behind your back.”
2. “Next time you see your mother, tell her for me, that she failed. She raised a fool.”
3. “Shut your mouth when you’re talking to me.”
4. “And who are you?”
5. “What you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.”
Hopefully these phrases will help you take those boys down a peg or two.
Boys, you become men when you treat others with respect. Nothing is owed to you. And if a boy is using these phrases, he’s definitely not getting far anyway.
Girls, remember respect is a two-way street. You are the ultimate prize. Don’t let a boy become your man.