1. Set aside time for yourself. Make room in your daily schedule for “me time”. Whether it only be for 30 minutes a day, it’s important to spend time alone and do the things that you truly enjoy doing. This can be a time to get things things done on your to-do list or to treat yourself to something you’ve wanted. It’s beneficial to spend time alone to rid the mind from clutter and distractions of the outside world.
2. Learn to let go of the things that you can’t change. This one stands out to me especially, because I’m guilty of it myself. If you do not like a situation that you’ve found yourself in, change it. If there’s nothing you can do to change it, try changing your attitude. The outcome of any situation is contiguously related to your attitude towards it. The mind is a tricky thing to control and once you’ve conquered it your worries will subside.
3. Forgive someone that wasn’t sorry. It sounds silly, I know. But, forgiveness is a refreshing and liberating feeling. It is empowering to know that despite the lack of an apology you are able to absolve the situation and move forward. Not everyone who hurts you is going to feel remorseful for their actions, but instead of dwelling on the negative it’s important to remind yourself that forgiveness truly comes from within.
4. Don’t become caught up in social media. Put down your phone when you feel like you have spent too much time meddling in the lives of others. 90% of the time people’s lives are far off from how they portray them to be via social media. Spend less time looking at collections of other peoples memories and go out and create your own.
5. Remove the toxic. Whether it be a job, a friend, or a significant other, if something is draining you more than it is filling you then it is time to let whatever it is go. Removing toxic elements from your life is a gratifying feeling that will make you wonder how you once carried that burden for so long. Get rid of toxic things in order to make room for the greater things that are yet to come.
6. Learn how to balance your finances. It is a valuable skill to know how to successfully correspond what you make with what you spend. Learn how to balance your finances so you’re paying your bills on time and are still able to live comfortably. Maybe that means spending less money on daily coffees or setting aside $50 in a separate bank account. It will benefit you in the long run.
7. Get enough sleep. Getting the recommended amount of sleep every single night is difficult with our busy lives. But-sleep is such a detrimental factor in our health and how our bodies function on a day-to-day basis. Try to make sure you’re allowing yourself enough hours of sleep each night in order to make sure you’re body is functioning properly. You’ll thank yourself later.
8. Quit complaining. Ever heard the phrase, “nobody likes a complainer”? Well it’s the truth and we’re all guilty of it from time to time. The irony of it is that we typically complain about things that we have complete control over. Learn how to vent without complaining. If you find yourself in a situation that might cause you to complain, stop and ask yourself what you can do to make the situation right rather than focus on what went wrong.