1. Get to know the people in your class. It is always good to have allies. Especially if they can give you some insight about the calculus problem you’ve been stuck at for five days.
2. Get to know your neighbors. They may be your saviors if you ever find a gigantic mutant cockroach in your bedroom at 2am.
3. Pull an all-nighter at least once. It will teach you a valuable lesson about not waiting until the last minute to get things done.
4. Cramming before a final is kind of pointless. If after an entire semester you haven’t learned the material yet, you will probably not learn it two hours before your test.(This is somewhat related to #3…)
5. Don’t stop having fun because you’re “too busy with school.” Maintaining good grades is very important, but it does not guarantee you a successful future. Some life experiences may teach more than that quiz you just took.
6. Have a wild phase. Go out every night, have meaningless hook ups, dye your hair, get your nose pierced. Then realize that is not who you really are, and get back on track.
7. Cars break all the time. Especially if they are old. And preferably during that week you have 3 exams, 2 homeworks due and that major presentation. When that happens, learn how to laugh at your own misfortune.
8. It is okay to lose it sometimes. You are stressed, just got dumped, failed that test, etc. So scream, cry, break something, or do anything you need in order to get that out of your system.
9. Having a group of friends who is fun and always down to party is pretty awesome. Just make sure at least one of them will be there for you when #8 happens.
10. Keep in touch with the people who matter to you. Once you get involved with new activities and new people, those friendships you thought would last a lifetime can easily fade away.
11. Always have some ice cream in the freezer. Ice cream will be the best company you could wish for after a rough day.
12. There is no such thing as a never-ending source of toilet paper. You probably thought there was when you lived back home, didn’t you? Guess what? You actually need to buy it! If you don’t, sorry to say, but you are going to have a bad time.
13. Memorize the bus schedule. Just to make sure you will not miss the last one and end up stuck in a sketchy place, with six bags of groceries and a dead phone.
14. Always wear a condom! You don’t want to be that person buying a pregnancy test at Walgreens at 2 am. (Mom and dad, just in case you are reading this, this point comes from purely observational data, not from personal experience!)
15. Enjoy every second. I know this is very cliché, but, these are, without a doubt, the most amazing years of your life.