Producer’s note: Someone on Quora asked: What are some signs that you are in a bad neighborhood? Here is one of the best answers that’s been pulled from the thread. Thank you to the team at Quora for making this happen!
1. Bullet proof glass separating you and the post office teller and store clerks.
2. Lack of public restrooms.
3. Trash everywhere – once in awhile I can hear it hitting the side of my house as people drive by. Other times I find left over booze and chicken on my side porch. What a waste.
4. People on the streets shouting at each other at all hours.
5. Drug dealers making business transactions in broad daylight.
6. Having to run a bunch of gang members of my front porch (OFF NOW).
7. Being hit on by street people, including continuously drunk older dude who asks me if I’m “legal” (I’m almost 39) and tells me about how he wants to “get wit me.” I’m curious how he would react if one time I said, “Hell yeah, I had plans today but I think I’ll drop them to go get fucked by a smelly old dude in a side alley.”
8. Being on good terms with graffiti artists, talented lot.
9. RATS THE SIZE OF SMALL DOGS!
10. Everyone (including me) instinctively taking cover anytime there is a loud noise.
11. 808 bump like a sonic boom coming from a car cruising down the street reeaaaal slow, at 3am.