Maybe you’re running for weight loss, for runner’s high, or just for the pure exhilarating freedom running induces. Whatever your reason, you’ve probably hit a point where you thought running is “simple, but not easy”. Running can be hard, but it doesn’t have to be; at least not every moment. Here are eleven ways to make running more enjoyable.
1.Write down that you’re going to run
Specifically, write down when you’re going to run. It’s harder to break plans once you’ve scheduled it out and committed to yourself on paper.
2. Lay your workout clothes out so that it is that much easier to hit the pavement, treadmill or trail
If you like the way your clothes fit or look too, you’re more likely to want to wear them and move in them.
3. Create a running playlist with energizing beats
Music that energizes you will make you feel more excited to run and focus on running!
4. Imagine how strong, happy and accomplished you will feel after your run!
Yes, I know you’re probably going to be sweating and not ready for a picture, but you just may feel strong, happy, accomplished and even beautiful after you run. This momentum may inspire you to continue working hard throughout the day.
5. Imagine yourself actually running
Cliché, but you do have to “imagine” to do. Now turn that thought experiment into a reality!
6. Find a running partner
He or she can be a friend, family member, significant other, or a running group in your local community.
7. Remind yourself that even a small distance exceeds no distance
A “bad” run is better than no run.
8. Sign up for a fun 5k, 10k, half marathon or other distance
There are so many fun runs between the Color Run, the Frozen Yogurt Run, Turkey Trots, etc.
9. Celebrate all of the wonderful things running does for your body
You probably already know running strengthens your health, but maybe some things (like sharpened hearing) are news!
10. Multi-task: Log your miles with Charity Miles at no cost
For every bit you run, you can donate to a cause of your choice ranging from maternal health to the environment. You’re not only making your heart stronger physically with this workout, but also emotionally through giving. The app is completely free and does not require a credit card or any payment info.