2016 is coming to a close in only a few short weeks. With the Holidays rolling in, I thought a homage to 2016 was well deserved as we transition from thankfulness to the new year.
Being crazy young adults, being high-spirited 20-somethings, I think we let life pass us by. We live so much in the moment we forget to look back and realize all we had.
So for the next five weeks, here are some of those forgotten moments and ideas to remember and smile about.
1. We have so much freedom to be exactly what we want. Politics may have a word or two to say, but ultimately there aren’t many boundaries in our lives keeping us from who we want to be.
2. You have an incredible family. It may not be blood, but you have people in your corner to celebrate the highs with and to comfort you in the lows.
3. You get to appreciate and flaunt your physical and mental beauty. You get to wear make-up, put on the clothes you want, exercise your mind to let the world see you in the beautiful way you see yourself.
4. You have passions. So many people don’t know what drives them, what makes them get up in the morning. But you do.
5. You have time to do what you choose. You can binge on Netflix or go grab a Caramel Macchiato from Starbucks as you please.
6. You have some awesome clothes on your back. It doesn’t matter where they came from, but they’re keeping you warm and trendy all at the same time. You would be surprised how many people don’t get that.
7. You get to experience love, and you have the ability to love back. You get to love those first-world perks, your pets, the people close to you. Nothing really compares to that.
8. You’ve gotten lost in the moment. There is nothing as pure as forgetting that time exists, almost like you are limitless and you have complete control over your life.
9. For all the hurt you’ve been through. As weird as it may be to thank those who hurt you, remember that you wouldn’t be half the person you are without those experiences.
10. You have smiled. You have experienced happiness, something that is often overlooked but so important to your soul.
11. Fresh air has coursed through your lungs. You have gotten to go outside and experience our planet for everything it is.
12. You’ve made mistakes, and you’ve learned from them. Your list of weaknesses has drastically dwindled.
13. You have the ability to fall in love, even if you may not have used it this year. So many people never even get to consider such a feeling.
14. You grow every day, even in ways you do not see. You spent this year slowly moving forward, becoming a slightly different person. You got to become more of yourself every single day.
15. You made it another year. Think of all the people who left us so early, so heartbreakingly, so hurtfully.
16. And because of that, you have another year to look forward to, another year to feel things you’ve never felt before, to become more of the person you dream to be, to find the things you love.