1. Unless the cashier/sales person has done something to personally offend you, FIND A MANAGER. Retail workers do NOT get paid enough to deal with your complaining bullshit.
2. If you’re one of those people who don’t trust plastic and prefer to write check, BRING CASH. The lines are going to be long enough already so please be considerate of the other shoppers. No one wants to stand behind you and watch you write a check when we all know that a debit card is the same thing.
3. If you feel the need to return something on Black Friday or Super Saturday, lie down until that feeling passes. Now I know that sometimes it’s unavoidable (i.e. you can’t get the same sale price unless you get that new size/color on the same day, it’s a time sensitive gift) but if you have absolutely no choice, at least remember these rules:
- Have your receipt readily available.
- If the same person who does returns is also the cashier, don’t walk up to them expecting immediate attention. Get in line with everyone else.
- If you don’t have your receipt, that’s your own fault. You can either get store credit or do an exchange. You can NOT get angry with the associate. They are just following the rules.
4. ALWAYS pay attention to signage. I understand that unless you’ve worked retail, you don’t understand how to properly read SKUs or how some things are abbreviated BUT, you can at least attempt to double check the price yourself before you stop everything at the register for a price check. The holidays make all stores crazy messy. This brings me to my next point….
5. PUT THINGS BACK WHERE YOU GOT THEM! This should be a no brainer. I mean, it’s what we learned how to do in pre-school. Unfortunately though, Christmas shopping makes everyone forget their manners and they leave things in all sorts of places.
6. Be kind to others. People are quick to lose sight of what this time of year is really about. Before you push someone to grab the last copy of Frozen ask yourself, “Is it really worth it?” Whatever it is you feel the need to be aggressive towards others for, I PROMISE you will find another one before December 25th. There are always sales throughout the season so it’s worth a few extra bucks if you get to also keep your dignity.