1. Don’t be afraid to show your feelings. It’s a rarity- most people hide under layers of manufactured perfection. Be real because you’re beautiful.
2. If you don’t like something everyone loves, don’t feel left out. Your popular culture preferences don’t define you or the person that you are- always remember that.
3. Study hard and study for as long as you want. Do triple PhDs if that’s what makes you happy.
4. Don’t let me or anybody else tell you who to love. If you aren’t going down a ‘normal’ path as determined by society, don’t be afraid to keep going.
5. Don’t be afraid to be impulsive. I have leaped before I’ve looked all my life and I’ve gotten hurt but I wouldn’t trade in any of those experiences. This doesn’t mean that you should be reckless- just follow your heart. It’s smarter than you think.
6. If you’re sad – mope around, eat tubs of ice cream, listen to sad songs. If you’re happy – go on a shopping spree, kiss all your friends, buy gifts for them. It’s okay to feel exactly what you’re feeling. It’s not wrong or selfish.
7. Try not to dwell on your mistakes. This will be difficult but try your best to take a deep breath and shake it off- no matter how embarrassing the situation may have been. You’ll move on and so will everyone else.
8. Don’t let money become your whole world. It will destroy you and your relationships.
9. Don’t be reckless with other people’s feelings. Everyone is fighting a different battle- just be nice. It’s as simple as that. That said, stand up for yourself if somebody is treating you badly. Nobody has the right to do that. Speak up.
10. Learn to live in the moment. Your iPhone will still be there after the movie, the concert, the play, the night out with your best friends but the moment will pass. Don’t let it.